I make custom items and most of those are made to order, as I can't keep everything in stock at all times. I sell rings, for instance, and you NEVER know what rings will sell in what size, so there's no way to keep stock on all sizes, and also I might have 3 rings in stock in size 10 and 5 in stock in sizes 11 and 13, so a customer who sees a message like "8 in stock" will be incorrectily informed if he needs his ring in size 15. How do I kill the "in stock number" entirely as shown on the customer pages? I don't want to list 10,000 available in stock, as that would also be completely misleading.

For some items, I do want to be able to show that only one item is in stock. For instance I sometimes offer specials on an item if we've made one for photo purposes and it's some odd size and hasn't sold yet. So I don't want to get rid of the "in stock" functionality completely, in case someone buys the item, and before I can edit it out, someone else tries to buy.

On the other hand, I have another store that is mostly stock driven. If I have it, I want to show it as available (and it wouldn't hurt for the customer to know how many are in stock at any point). If it's NOT in stock, I don't even want to show it as available or existing at all. I'd rather they not see it, since backorder time is horrendous.

And finally, is there an easy way of adding stock by the item code rather than going into each individual item and changing the stock amount? On my old store I had a quick inventory change, where I could just put in the item ID and the amount of stock I was adding or subracting.