Plugin Contributions

Default Original Install was in the Root....

Happy Holidays!!

We have decided to take the leap and are working meticulously with the upgrade. :)

The upgrade is awesome! :)

Thank you for the shippable/downloadable option! This will solve some headaches for us.

We installed the original store to the root directory. How do we put up the new store in this instance? I was thinking we could just rename "new_shop" to "store or catalog" and then just point traffic to that directories index. Not sure if that would work or not.

Please advise! :)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Original Install was in the Root....

Quote Originally Posted by ksoup View Post
    We installed the original store to the root directory. How do we put up the new store in this instance? I was thinking we could just rename "new_shop" to "store or catalog" and then just point traffic to that directories index. Not sure if that would work or not.

Please advise! :)
    I was told that this would be good to post in a thread so it will help others. Is there anyone else in our boat? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Plugin Contributions

I have also just noticed that when putting in new images, the images are going in to the image directory on the new shop, but the images arent showing up because it is calling the images from the original root/images directory. This is concerning.

Plugin Contributions

I am guessing there is no easy way to do this... so what I think I will do is the following....

~back up original store that resides in the root to a subdirectory (just by a simple duplicate command in ftp)
    ~copy the upgrade over the store that resides in the root directory (which is what i was trying to avoid)

unless i can some how get the images pointed to the right directory... it would be nice if they can reside where they are (in the root) but use the store in a subdirectory and point the url to the subdirectory index.php

I would appreciate any input on this ... we wanted to flip it over tonight, but don't see how as though that is possible without feeling comfortable we are doing it right.

Plugin Contributions

By all means BACKUP first the files and the DB....

I would correct the issue with the /new_store install looking in the wrong directry first....did you create a separate DB for this install??

When you get the test install functioning and looking like you want 110% and have the original store & DB backed up...just move all the files to the root either over writing the ones there or delete the root files first and move the new_shop files to the root, your preference. then looking at the original store configure.php files, edit the new store files pathing to the root like the originals are but using the new DB. (both the /includes and the /admin/includes ones)

You should be set.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I was hoping to do this right after midnight because there will be a fresh backup at that time. :)

The new install was made in a folder /new_shop/ and has it's own database entirely.

Do you have any idea why the new install is looking to the old directories for images?

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    By all means BACKUP first the files and the DB....

I would correct the issue with the /new_store install looking in the wrong directry first....did you create a separate DB for this install??

When you get the test install functioning and looking like you want 110% and have the original store & DB backed up...just move all the files to the root either over writing the ones there or delete the root files first and move the new_shop files to the root, your preference. then looking at the original store configure.php files, edit the new store files pathing to the root like the originals are but using the new DB. (both the /includes and the /admin/includes ones)

You should be set.

Plugin Contributions

Did you try to use the old configure.php files for this ???
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Assuming that you have a Live Store in the root of your site and an upgrade in something like /new_shop

If all is updated to function on the /new_shop

I would first do a test ...

Backup the database on the Live Shop

Backup the database on the /new_shop

Drop all tables on the /new_shop database and load the backup of the Live Shop database ...

Run the /new_shop/zc_install and Upgrade the database ...

Confirm that all is still working ...

If not, write down any changes you need to do to the Configuration settings so that you have a list of what to update when you do the final upgrade ...

Note: this includes things like Remove, Install and Configure all Payment, Shipping and Order Total Modules ...

Once you have everything working on this test ...

Set the Live Site Down for Maintenance

Backup the Live Site database

Backup the /new_shop database

Drop all the tables from the /new_shop database

Load the backup from the Live Shop to the /new_shop database

Run the /new_shop/zc_install and Upgrade the database

Again, test all and reconfigure as needed including the Modules ...

Edit the 2 configure.php files in /new_shop to utilize the paths in the Live Site ... NOTE: do not change the database as the New database is now your Live database Example: /new_shop/ becomes /

Copy all of the Zen Cart files and directories from the root (excluding the /new_shop) to /old_shop

Move all directories from /new_shop to your root directory

Move the /old_shop/images to /images in your root to obtain all of your old images ...

Test you new Live Shop and make sure all is working ...

If all is working then you can take it off of Down for Maintenance ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!