database error Database Problems Upgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 (my export won't work)

I have been trying to do the upgrade from v1.3.6 to v1.3.7. Usually I don't have too many problems with upgrades, however the last two upgrades are causing me grief in that I can't seem to export or import my current database.

It's like it times out before it finishes, usually at 72 tables. The size of my database is around 7,400 kb. I think I managed to get my live store all exported today, but can't seem to import that to the new database to do my upgrade testing on.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, is there a cure?? I wanted to have this upgrade done as soon as it came out but I'm still struggling with this problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, All I know about MySql is how to drop tables, import and export for upgrading. I have tried using the .bzip, .gzip, .zip and none options and still have the same problems.

Thanks for any help!
    TLC

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database Problems Upgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 (my export won't work)

It might be a size issue-you might try clearing your admin access logs prior to exporting-those records can grow quickly. You do that via tools->store manager.

If you are using the db backup contrib in the admin panel, you might try using phpMyAdmin via your site's control panel, or the backup tool in your control panel-one of those should give you a valid backup.

-Ng_
    NotGoddess (Sara Jacobson)
    NotGoddess.com

Default Re: Database Problems Upgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 (my export won't work)

Thanks NotGoddess.... I already did that thinking the same thing... it was suggested that maybe I need to use a T1 connection, but I don't have that here. I do have DSL though. I thought after we got DSL that would be the end of all of my uploading/downloading problems. Apparently not!

I'm going to email my web host ...maybe they have a solution. This is very frustrating. I would have had the upgrade done the day it came out had it not been for this. Maybe I need to delete some categories or something.... or attributes... those seem to take a lot of space. So it looks like I'll be deleting a lot of stuff in the next day or so to see if that shrinks the file size any.

I was hoping it could be fixed by changing a setting on the database somewhere... though I would NEVER attempt that all by myself!!!

TLC

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You might try purging your Admin Activity Log, as it can get very large and sometimes cause such a timeout. You can do this by choosing the appropriate button in Admin->Tools->Store Manager

If you are storing email history, sometimes this will also cause timeouts due to the huge size of this table when it's actively being used. You could either tell phpMyAdmin to skip this table and then do it separately or (last resort) empty it.

These are typically the two biggest tables, although product and order data can be big too, but that's a good thing :)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

I finally got it done!!! Once I got the database to cooperate, the upgrade went fast and smooth!

DrByte, I had emptied the admin activity log the first thing when I started having problems because I know that critter gets big, but that alone didn't seem to do it. I had some empty categories that I was going to eventually put products in... I just deleted those and that seemed to work!

Didn't think about the email logs, but if it happens next time, I will look into that also.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!!!

TLC
    [FONT="Tahoma"]TLC Creations[/FONT]
    [FONT="Arial"]tlccreations.com[/FONT]