Thread: Moving my store

Plugin Contributions

Default Moving my store

Hello,

How can I safely move my zen-cart store and all of the custom configurations I have done to it with-out having to reinstall everything.

I have moved this store twice, and both times it has made me re-install the whole zen-cart, and start from scratch.

How can I make a backup copy of my store, that in the event of my store being hacked or crashing out for some reason, I can just drag some files over and have my store back again.

What is the trick to cloning a zen-cart store?

Thanks,
    Danny

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving my store

The store has two parts: database and program files.

Backup your database regularly (hopefully you're already doing this). If your using a Linux/Unix server as the location of this post suggests, the Backup MySQL mod in the downloads section is a really easy way to achieve this.

To clone your program files, you need only make a copy of them and then edit the two configure.php files in the new fileset (one in admin/includes/ and one in includes/) to point to the new file locations. That's 7 edits in the admin version and 4 edits in include one.

You may also wish to create a duplicate database and make a single edit in each configure.php to point to the new database.

This may sound complicated, but once you've done it once it all becomes clear.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Hi. I'm a bit more of an idiot and I am very confused. I have spent 2 days doing admin configuration to my zencart store and adding a few bits to it.

Then my hosting went wrong and I have changed over to someone else. They transferred my website and the zencart but I get this line:

Not Found
    The requested URL /onlineshop/zc_install/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Now I have checked in my file manager and everything is there (such as the edited css, the images I loaded etc).

So can you advise in 100% idiot proof English what to do next? I am assuming copying everything, deleting and reinstalling then copy all files back???

Thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

This error tells you that after moving your site, your new host either deleted or renamed the zc_install directory for security purposes. That's entirely appropriate and unlikely to be your real problem.

Your real problem is why your relocated site is looking for the zc_install directory in the first place. This is most likely a problem with the configure.php files, but it is difficult to work out what exactly without access to your hosting environment and the files themselves. However, as your new hosting company set this up, I'd go back and ask them to take a look at the problem, which may well be very minor.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Wow that was a fast reply and very straight forward! I passed the message on to the hosting company as they are on msn but the guy doesnt seem to know what is wrong.

Will I have to do a complete reinstall? I think that would be best in the long run but is there any files I can copy and then paste after a new install?

Plugin Contributions

Do you have a way of backing up your database that is independent of your site? Via phpMyAdmin for example.

If so, I would do that before you do anything else. If you don't know how, then your host will certainly be able to guide you as to how they have that set up, as its a very basic task.

You shouldn't have to go through the install process to fix this. But rooting out the problem remotely when your web host, who has access to your environment, can't figure it out, would be extremely difficult. So you may end up re-installing.

Answering your question about files would need to be copied is also difficult remotely, as the answer depends upon what files have been changed to create your template. and the add-ons that you have installed. Can you provide more information about this?

Plugin Contributions

My new webhost who was all singing all dancing yesterday to get me to go with him has suddenly decided to stop chatting to me now there is a problem.

The website address to the shop is www.liaimports.co.uk/onlineshop

All I have changed is the css and the index page and then configired all the admin side of things such as payments, zones etc.

I'm on msn if you want to ask anything further printing_in_progress##########################

Thanks again for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Now that I've worked out who your host is, I have another theory ...

What version of Zen Cart were you using before your move? What version does your host tell you that you are using now?

Plugin Contributions

It is 1.3 something. It was a fantastico install if that helps. Host has gone shy and telling me nothing now.

May have to change again (3rd time in 5 weeks).