Plugin Contributions

Default How To Limit Shipping Options For Specific Products?

I currently offer shipping via UPS and USPS. I sell a variety of products and use primarily First Class, Parcel Post, Priority Mail and most UPS domestic services.

I have some items which can only be shipped by UPS Ground Service. These are flammable liquids. The bottles are too large (too many ounces) to meet postal restrictions for Parcel Post, but are acceptable at UPS.

How can I limit the shipping options for these particular products to just the UPS Ground Service? Right now, customers are selecting Parcel Post because it calculates cheaper than the UPS Ground option.

An article in the FAQs said to use the Per Unit (perweightunit) shipping module and set the weight in the product editor to the the cost of shipping. I did that, and it works fine. It displays as "Best Way".

My problem is that I want BEST WAY to be the only option to appear in checkout when specific products are in the order. If the customer is not buying a flammable liquid product, the system should continue to display as it is now set (providing several other options.)

All this can get a bit complicated if the customer combines other items in the order along with a flammable liquid. The flammable liquid should always ship separately, but I'll save that issue for another day.

So the question is: HOW TO LIMIT SHIPPING OPTIONS FOR SPECIFIC PRODUCTS?
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How To Limit Shipping Options For Specific Products?

You would need to add a new field to your products table so that it could be checked on the shopping cart/checkout to see if you have any of these products in there ...

If so, you then need to customize the shipping modules to manage this type of restriction ...

That way when you have All Flamable, No Flamable or Mixed Flamable ... you would display the correct shipping for that order ...

It will take some customization ... but it can be done ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Linda. Writing new code is a real challenge for me, but this guidance is a big help. Using the database table will simplify the code effort a lot.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ronlee67 View Post
    I currently offer shipping via UPS and USPS. I sell a variety of products and use primarily First Class, Parcel Post, Priority Mail and most UPS domestic services.

I have some items which can only be shipped by UPS Ground Service. These are flammable liquids. The bottles are too large (too many ounces) to meet postal restrictions for Parcel Post, but are acceptable at UPS.

How can I limit the shipping options for these particular products to just the UPS Ground Service? Right now, customers are selecting Parcel Post because it calculates cheaper than the UPS Ground option.

An article in the FAQs said to use the Per Unit (perweightunit) shipping module and set the weight in the product editor to the the cost of shipping. I did that, and it works fine. It displays as "Best Way".

My problem is that I want BEST WAY to be the only option to appear in checkout when specific products are in the order. If the customer is not buying a flammable liquid product, the system should continue to display as it is now set (providing several other options.)

All this can get a bit complicated if the customer combines other items in the order along with a flammable liquid. The flammable liquid should always ship separately, but I'll save that issue for another day.

So the question is: HOW TO LIMIT SHIPPING OPTIONS FOR SPECIFIC PRODUCTS?
    It's been awhile now and I just can't find a solution to this problem. I am wondering if anyone knows if this will work:

What if I create a second ZenCart system either in a subdomain, or in a subfolder of the existing Zencart and put my flammable products in that cart system? I would set this secondary cart system to only have the UPS shipping module active and only the UPS Ground Service checked.

Will I be able to configure it to the existing database without messing up the whole store? In otherwords, both cart systems would work off the same database........hmmmm I just realized that I would have a problem with the configuration data in the database, right?

I can't believe that no one has developed a contribution to handle this and similar shipping problems. There seem to be plenty of forum inquries related to restricting shipping for specific items.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

I see that this is an older thread, but I have the same question about shipping restrictions by product? Has anyone found or created a solution for this?

Plugin Contributions

If you have something in the products table that flags these Products as being exceptions to a rule or setting a standard on what method(s) can be used, then you could write a function to manage when modules are enabled or disabled based on this flag ...

A flag on a Product might be a master_categories_id, products_model or perhaps a new field to indicate something different needs to be done with the Product ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

This is exactly the issue I have... are there any new solutions, without modifying the code/database? I've had mixed results with this--always looks simple enough when someone suggests it, but one little thing always seems to be left out throwing everything sideways.

Thanks, Brad

Plugin Contributions

I'm also hoping for a solution here that someone can demonstrate how and where to edit code if it needs customizing.

I'm trying to limit shipping options on some products because a certain USPS rate won't apply for some long items my client has. We need to remove that one USPS option on certain products.

I read somewhere that perhaps a person could modify the shipping module to include product model numbers that have limited (instead of full shipping options), but a little specific guidance would be sooooo helpful! What kind of code would you write? Where would it go?

Anxiously hoping for an answer! Thank you in advance...

Plugin Contributions

What I want to accomplish is to be able to make the shipping method static for certain products. My website is an auto parts and accessories website where partst are to be dropshipped. Some shipping charges are based on weight, some are flat shipping. Flat shipping is also different for different products. Is there a way where I can set different flat rate prices for different products and have that be the only shipping method. I'm using version 1.3.8a. PHP Version: 5.2.15 Server OS: Linux 2.6.34.6 Database: MySQL 5.1.52 I'm new to the Zen Cart forum, so please forgive me if I did not add this thread properly
    Barshawn Lopez