Plugin Contributions

Default Why make it so difficult to change things evereyone will want to change?

I've followed the directions in the faq section and to be honest, I don't see the changes that I've made to my template.

Now I'm going to be ranting in a sec, so I want to say that I do admire the original programmers, and everyone that has contributed to this fantastic program.

I've used several different open source php programs before and believe me most are easier to customize than zencart has been. Don't get me wrong, i still like zencart and plan on using it for my bird feeder store.

However Zencart is advertised as easy to use, but if I didn't know a little about how to navigate and find folders and files I'd be pulling my hair out by now.

I have to ask why we have to go to so many different places to change things that every user will want to, or even need to change.
    For example.

"Congratulations you've installed Zencart" text, is found here: /includes/languages/ENGLISH/index.php

The text under it is found here:
    /includes/languages/english/html_includes/define_main_page.html Even after changing that the text that tells me where to look for the file at the bottom of the page is still there.

Now why aren't all of these changes found on the same page?

Why is it so difficult to change the logo, the header and the text that comes up on the header. How many places do you go for that?

The logo change should be in the admin section, In fact, everything to change should be in admin. However, wouldn't it be an easy fix to simply have everything on one page, even if it's in the html_includes folder?

I'm not really a professional coder, but I know that this can be done, and should be done. I also know that the main coders of zencart know this too, and I'm sorry if this comes accross as angry, but, well, I kinda am. This should be easier.

I know, I know, there are probably other threads like this too. I'm telling you, I'm usually a pretty positive person. But this is simply frustrating.

I'll get off my high horse now and take some time to figure out how make make these changes and submit it. If nothing else it will get me more failure with the code.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why make it so difficult to change things evereyone will want to change?

The developers have stated WHY they have the template system the way it is,

you ONLY have to have files that you have modified in the over rides or template system.

This cuts down on file size ( you dont have to have a complete set of files for EACH template )
    As for everything being able to be changed in the admin,
    If you add much more the DB will bloat
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why make it so difficult to change things evereyone will want to change?

I understand that. My suggestions would cut down the number of files needed to make the changes. Make all the text changes on the homepage on the define_main_page file, the /english/index.html file is at risk during an upgrade anyway, so having the changed on that one file would clear decrease the number of pages needed.

Thereby not bloating the database. I like that description though.

Thanks for posting an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    The developers have stated WHY they have the template system the way it is,

you ONLY have to have files that you have modified in the over rides or template system.

This cuts down on file size ( you dont have to have a complete set of files for EACH template )
    As for everything being able to be changed in the admin,
    If you add much more the DB will bloat

Plugin Contributions

Each of those sections of the main page has a different function. The Greeting for example is set in the language file (using an override) and probaly never changed again. The body of the page (defined page) is changable via the admin for easy access.

I know you are having a hard time seeing the method to our madness, but trust me it works.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Ahh,

See I was short sighted. I hadn't considered the languages.

Typical American arrogance huh.