Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Server error! ....server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

Hello,

Anybody have a clue why all of a sudden, when I try to download a file which is an attribute of a product, I get the following error page?
    I changed permissions every which way

Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.ither the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

The results page is http://www.mywebsite.com/store/pub/....xmvzvp/123.zip

I am running on Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_auth_pgsql/2.0.1 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.4

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server error! ....server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

Have you spoken to your host?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Server error! ....server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Have you spoken to your host?
    yes, indeedy. and there are server issues, so i'm relieved.

hope that's all there is.

thanks for your feedback.

cheers!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server error! ....server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

Quote Originally Posted by steely View Post
    yes, indeedy. and there are server issues, so i'm relieved.

hope that's all there is.

thanks for your feedback.

cheers!
    Well, I ain't happy. The problem is caused by the .htaccess file in the /pub/ folder. It contains the directive:

Options +FollowSymLinks -Indexes

which is actually forbidden directive on my host's machines.

once I've disabled the .htaccess, the system started returning 'Forbidden' error

Any way around this directive? I've spent a lot of time working w/the Zen Cart on a test site, not realizing it wouldn't work on this host's server, for whom I am actually reselling.

Plugin Contributions

You would have to turn off the Redirect in the Configuration ... Attribute settings ... which is less secure but should work ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You would have to turn off the Redirect in the Configuration ... Attribute settings ... which is less secure but should work ...
    Life should be that simple. But it's not, and that didn't work. Getting this error:

Server error!
    The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
    Error message:
    Premature end of script headers: index.php

surely there must be a fix for this, can't be that we have to find hosts that will specifically accomodate - i've seen many posts on the web w/this sort of problem from others

Plugin Contributions

Hosts that do not allow you to control your own server are diffcult to work with ...

I am not sure if this is an .htaccess issue or some other setting that your host has limited you to ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Have you tried turning on Download by Streaming ?
    If the server has a memory-configuration limitation, this should help get around it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Hosts that do not allow you to control your own server are diffcult to work with ...

I am not sure if this is an .htaccess issue or some other setting that your host has limited you to ...
    Thanks for your reply.
    I mentioned in my post that the directive
    Options +FollowSymLinks -Indexes
    in the htaccess file is 'forbidden' by my host. Possibly for security reasons.
    how much control should I have over a remote server?

This would be an issue of price, and this hosting is fine for my humble needs.
    Now, if I could get the originators of this Zen cart to give us something to work around this Apache issue without giving up on the program...

Plugin Contributions

Without using the .htaccess file you described, use your Browser and go to the images dir. of your site. Do you see a blank page or a listing of sub-directories and files.

Could be, if your Hoster is smart, that they have already disabled directory indexing; which is what the -Indexes means. If so, you do not need to use it any .htaccess file and things might work properly by just using:
    Options +FollowSymLinks

If you cannot use the Options directive for anything, then you could ask your Hoster why that is so. Could be they've got some Server-wide security setup in place and can suggest an alternative directive to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast