Plugin Contributions

Default "Refund Support" in ZC v1.3.7

What's this all about? Over in the "Zen Cart Release Announcements " forum at the "v1.3.7 Released !" thread, DrByte says:
    Refund Support for compliant payment modules: Admin orders page can now hook into an order-refund method if a given payment module has support for such built-in.
    Are there any details of how to construct an "order-refund" method? Or an existing payment module that can be plagarized?

We're using a PM (uSight) that Merlin put together back in V1.2 days and which I have updated to V1.3 conventions. ... (Yes, I know I should share it ... and will RSN.) ... But I was wondering how V1.3.7 "Refund Support" might fit.
    Thanks,
    Tony Benedetti

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "Refund Support" in ZC v1.3.7

The paypal express checkout module has refund support built-in.
    The code is not yet documented.
    Feel free to poke around to learn its methods.

(Sorry, there's about 5,000 lines of code in the various related files ... .. not all related to refunds of course ... )

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The paypal express checkout module has refund support built-in.
    The code is not yet documented.
    Feel free to poke around to learn its methods.

(Sorry, there's about 5,000 lines of code in the various related files ... .. not all related to refunds of course ... )
    5KLOC ... Yikes!! Exploring it sounds like fun .... sorta like the same fun as having my eye poked out with a hot stick.

But, off I go to visit the PayPal Express Checkout stuff .... who knows? ... I may even understand half of what I see...

Seriously, thanks for the pointer... I'll post back here if I have any luck.

If not I'll just lurk in the shadows...
    Thanks,
    Tony Benedetti

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You will of course need to know how to send the appropriate API calls to your payment provider to be able to process the refund.
    Ideally this is best done via a cURL layer, and not with any sort of redirected POST method, as you want greater security and control over how refunds are made.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You will of course need to know how to send the appropriate API calls to your payment provider to be able to process the refund.
    Ideally this is best done via a cURL layer, and not with any sort of redirected POST method, as you want greater security and control over how refunds are made.
    Thanks for the "heads up" ... I hadn't (thankfully) started to look at the code yet. So now (keeping things in proper order) I'm off to look at the payment gateway's documentation ... I'm not so sure they have a refund API but rather just a way of manually processing refunds through their web interface. Thanks again!
    Thanks,
    Tony Benedetti

Plugin Contributions

End of this little saga...

The bottom line is that my friend/client's payment gateway doesn't provide any way of processing a refund ... neither via an API or manually. Rather he must process refunds manually via the web interface provided by his Merchant Account. Yes, his "merchant account" and "payment gatway" are totally separate services .. in fact separate companies. Don't ask me why ... the story is too long and twisty.

Thanks again for the "heads up" ... it saved me from unnecessarily getting neck deep in that 5KLOC.
    Thanks,
    Tony Benedetti

Plugin Contributions

It's actually quite common for Merchant Gateways to require all Refunds be processed through 'their' site, by logging into your Merchant account. Don't think I want it any other way.

Image, if you would, that someone gains unathorized access to your Admin section and, just for kicks, issues Refunds to all your Clients???

Would be much harder using a Merchant login as Refunds require more information than what is shown on the screen.