Plugin Contributions

Default Should I create a new product type for fabric?

Hello, I'm very new to ZenCart and loving it.

I just need some help/advice if anyone could help?:

I have a fabric category as part of the complete product range I'm setting up. The fabric selection in this category can be bought in quantities of 0.5 meter lengths so therefore when adding each fabric item under this category I set the Product Qty Units and Product Qty Minimum to 0.5.

The rest of the product range is things like clothing and accessories so they are sold as single complete units (not fractional).

Because of the fact that the fabric selection is different from the rest of the product range with regards to the quantities in which they are purchased, is it wise to create a special product type for this? If the answer is no, would there be any other reason to create a special product type for fabric?

Also, if I do create a special product type, would that mean that I could have it so that the 'product quantity minimum' and 'product quantity units' default to a given value (in this case 0.5)?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Should I create a new product type for fabric?

The problem on a new product type for that is you don't have control everywhere for the product type without touching core code as you want to manage the units of the quantity everywhere and not just on the product _info page ...

This does pose a bit of a problem as now to allow the units to be decimal for the one set of products it could technically be a decimal for the other products ...

This can be a problem for those who insist on trying to buy 1.5 glasses of water ...

But, you might try it and see if you run into this issue before having to touch code ...

Meanwhile, I will give it some thought too ... and see if there isn't a "better way" ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Should I create a new product type for fabric?

I've been thinking about this too and wonder if what I'm doing is just going to complicate things further also. I'm leaning towards maybe just leaving it without adding the new product type for the time being and seeing how that goes.