Plugin Contributions

Default Zen Cart Being Fully Capable

Hey guys.. I've got a local business and I soon want to get some of my items online. Im sorta of curious about the shopping cart systems large companies use. I mean I understand zen cart is FREEWARE but does that say something? I mean can zen cart handle thousands of orders a day? If you had an extremely powerful dedicated server could zen cart be used on a scale as large as amazon.com? I mean is there a LIMIT to where zen cart can go in terms of amounts of items, customers, orders etc. If money was no option. Would zen cart STILL be an excellent choice despite it being freeware?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart Being Fully Capable

As long as your server is good enough, Zen Cart can handle anything you can throw at it. One of the devs, Ajeh, has a client with a database of around 600,000 products.
    Out of the box it will serve well for most types of businesses, and with a good knowledge of CSS, HTML and for some things PHP, it can be molded to almost any appearance and functionality you want.
    Development is ongoing with all the weaker areas scheduled for major improvement in order of priority (db efficiency, checkout, admin area) as well as regular new features.