Plugin Contributions

Default Best way to upgrade template from 1.3.0 to current

I purchased a template many months ago that was created for 1.3.0, but was distracted from the project until now. I want my shop to be current with the latest release, but I am a bit unsure of what to do to get my template current.

Should I perform the upgrade process multiple times (from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 to 1.3.2, etc.) or should I work directly from my template to 1.3.7? As you have already guessed, I'm new and this is very intimidating

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best way to upgrade template from 1.3.0 to current

If you can install 1.3.7 in a test environment (a new folder separate from your live shop), you can test the current template and see how it reacts to 1.3.0. I'm not familiar with 1.3.0. I went from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7 and had to create a new template because I went from the table structured version of ZC to the tableless 1.3.7 version.

You don't have to go through each upgrade individually.

What I did was install 1.3.7 in a test environment and tinker with the template (your's may work "out of the box"). When I was satisfied, I took the live site down for maintenance, installed 1.3.7 and the custom template, and ran the installer to upgrade the database ONLY. You have to change some of the paths in the config (or use WinMerge to compare the current configs and the new versions).

It's not as overwhelming as it seems.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your reply. That was fast!!

I should have been more clear. I actually don't have a live site yet. Everything is on my test server. I just want to make sure everything is up to date before I go live. I thought about just trying my template on a fresh install of 1.3.7, but I was afraid that there might be places where my (old) template didn't fit the new release (things I might not notice immediately). Since I feel like I don't know what I'm doing anyway, my fears were increased.

Am I being to anal?

Anyway, thanks for clarifying that I don't need to upgrade separately for each release. That is a relief! I'm still a little unclear, though. Are you saying that I might not need to "upgrade" at all at this point?

Sorry to be so dense.

Plugin Contributions

You're not being dense or anal. You're having the normal reaction.

Since your cart isn't live, I suggest downloading a copy of the entire site to your local drive (or anywhere that's easiest to you just in case something goes wrong). Do the same with your database.

Since I'm not familiar with 1.3.0 at all, I'm not sure whether your template will work correctly or not, but I doubt it'll be that difficult to tweak.

You should upgrade. What I'm suggesting is that you integrate your current template into 1.3.7 before proceeding. If you simply install 1.3.7, you'll wipe out everything in your database. Doing what I suggested will upgrade the site without touching the database. Once you do that, you'll have the option to upgrade your database when you do run zc_install which will preserve your data. The database upgrade will detect what needs to be done and preselect the necessary steps.

That's how I got the Holzheimer's site from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Sounds like the job will be much easier than I had figured.Thank you so much for explaining.