Plugin Contributions

Default What superflouous files can be deleted after installation?

I have recently installed Zen-Cart and am slowly exploring its features. For me this is made a little more confusing by what appear to be quite a lot of superflouous files that I do not remember loading, nor want. These are files in the 'images' folder such a 'bugs_life', manufacturer references to companies such as 'Matrox' and 'extras' in the admin menu relating to Media files' 'Record Artists', 'Music Genre', 'Media Manager' etc

Is there a list somewhere that tells me what I can safely delete and get the site pared to essentials and my own files?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What superflouous files can be deleted after installation?

you can delete the unused images files and folders
    you can remove the files from the media folder, and the download folders
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can view a somewhat intense discussion on the topic here, where I list the things that can be removed if you don't want the demo product images or the music-product infrastructure.

It really would be best if you studied what does what and had a solid understanding of the purpose of each component before deleting anything.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You can view a somewhat intense discussion on the topic here, where I list the things that can be removed if you don't want the demo product images or the music-product infrastructure.
    Hmm, yes, a little intense but the original poster was coming from the same angle as myself so I am a little defensive.

I too would prefer to have an ultra-clean install and should I wish to experiment with the further capabilities of Zen-Cart I would make a dummy install to test web space explore that. In the meantime I keep clarity of mind on my original simplified installation.

I have used the list of image items to which you referred to purge items from the image folder but just have the remaining ADMIN menu items of ‘record artists’ etc that I would like to lose. These link to PHP items so don’t want to take any risks inadvertently deleting items there. Can you tell me what to do to lose that admin menu tree?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

to remove the music components from the "extras" menu in the admin, simply delete the /admin/includes/boxes/extra_boxes/product_music_extras_dhtml.php file.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.