Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Flash site, TOTAL Zen noob...What was I thinking?

WHEW!
    So I'm a (closet)geek since I was 13...now 40 and deciding that I can do anything...DOH!
    So, here's my conundrum...I created a totally flash site from Photoshop files supplied by a designer...no problem.

Then they wanted a cart...how difficult can it be for someone as skilled in computers like me? "Sure, no problem..." OMG! Problem!

I've read, and read, and read, and read, and googled, and researched, read some more and still don't have a clue about the best way to approach my latest "optimism overload".

I have the server set up, ZC137 upped, configured (basically), MySql, SSL, Linux, Apache etc. the whole package...except I'm not sure what to do next! (stiff drink perhaps?!!)

So I guess my question is this:
    They want the cart to look custom, not canned. Designer's done a great job making the pages. Now the Tech (uh, me?) has to get it all working...at what point in the process must the cart be involved? Can I build a html/swf page that has the correct links and only when the customer adds something to his cart do we involve ZC?
    Or do I need to create a template that has some of the flash (actually it could be done without flash...it's just rollovers, more info etc, except the header which I think I can handle) embedded or called? I've seen how-to's on that, but just don't know how far I can take it.
    Do I need to trash the pages I've built already and redo it all in ZC w/overrides? or can I keep everything like it is, but just have them enter ZC when they decide to purchase? Still building templates obviously...
    How customizable are the templates? Whattabout ZC? Can I remove everything from the left/right sides and replace that with a (one) graphic per side, a header and have the middle frame hold the required cart stuff? I'm no php guru either, and it's been years since I've written any code, but php seems easy enough...very similar to BASIC (now I'm showing my age!) in it's structure.

Even though I read ZenCart was NOT for noobs, but it was more adaptable than other options (and the price sure was right!) I decided to look long term and not learn a "simple" one then take on ZC later...figured go ahead and go thru the process and learn it & stay with it...but as you are all aware, when you know 1% of what you need to know...you can spend a ton of time spinning wheels (I'd prefer to do that in flash anyway lol)...I don't have that time...ugh!

The good news is that I have 2-5 more lined up already once this one works. Seems I'll be in Zen for a while. Cool!

But I have to get thissun (yes I'm a GA boy) up and running as quickly as possible and go live. Changes can be made later, but it needs to be sweet since they've approved the designer's work...

Help! And thanks for any assistance you may offer...it truly is much appreciated!

Now, where's that drink?!?

HP

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Flash site, TOTAL Zen noob...What was I thinking?

ZenCart can be customised to almost anything required, including flash.
    Without seeing your actual site/design, difficult to advise, but adding
    flash header into zen template is not difficult.. suggest you take a peek
    at FREE templates viewable at http://(sorry, site offline)/137/index.php, via
    top right hand template switcher. Download option also given on that url
    HTH

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Flash site, TOTAL Zen noob...What was I thinking?

Wow! not 10 minutes went by and I have a reply already! Y'all are great!
    How hard is it to:
    set an image on the left and right with nothing else there and add an open area in the middle? Do I need to do any of this in Dreamweaver or just Flash/ZC? Is there a diff between a jpg left/right and flash l/r? (other than just code)??? I can make a mock-up of the template Idea I have if that'd help!

Thanks for the quick reply Misty! I guess it's actually time to be awake there, huh? Not here!

HP

Plugin Contributions

Suggest you install zencart, use default Classic Template, or download/install
    one of the free ones from url quoted in my original post...
    ZenCart Templates are based on css stylesheets..
    You will also find lots of info at https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php
    and webdeveloper's module for firefox will prove invaluable.
    Yes, I am awake, not sure little grey cells totally functioning just yet tho'..

Plugin Contributions

WebDev for FFox already in my faves list! It's grabbed code that I then edited and reused...LOVE IT!
    I checked out the url from previous, but didn't see any with swf embedded. I have found a couple out there and downed 'em for reference sake, but getting there is the prob (templates built etc)...I'm certain I can do it, just don't want to waste time. My gray matter hasn't functioned in years, but I'll still go toe-to-toe with the best of them!

Plugin Contributions

but didn't see any with swf embedded.
    Don't know anywhere where zencart FREE flash templates are on offer,
    my suggestion was to give you an idea of what can be achieved using
    zencart...Good luck with your new venture

Plugin Contributions

I found these, but haven't dug into them yet...but they were free samples so why not down 'em while I can, right??? Reference if nothing else...

http://www.unmelted.com/sample_templates.html

HTH you or someone else!

Plugin Contributions

So I appreciate the help so far, anyone got anything to add to help me move along?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Hi!

The site I'm working on at the moment has a flash header:
    http://www.special-moments.net/store

Would be great to get a peek to illustrate exactly what you're trying to achieve...
    Do you have any mockups you can post?
    Last edited by mresende; 18 Feb 2007 at 12:20 AM.