Plugin Contributions

Default Page Wont Load -- Easy Populate Wont Complete

So I've added about 12,000 products to my website, and now when I go to my website it will not load my products. Instead it says the connection to my database has timed out.

Went to GoDaddy. Looked at my bandwidth and disk space. I have plenty of both.

My question is, why is my database timing out, and how to do get it to NOT time out?

Second question -- I have my Easy populate broken down into 1000 file chunks. The first two worked great. After that, they would upload about oh, 95% and tell me there was an error and I need to contact GoDaddy. I contacted GoDaddy and they told me it was nothing wrong on their end, that I needed to contact the provider of Easy Populate and have them figure out what was wrong...

Argh. I'm assuming I need to upgrade something, but what is it that I need to upgrade?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Page Wont Load -- Easy Populate Wont Complete

Hmmmm...

May be an idea to change your host to one that understands Zencart a little better.

12,000 products looks like a big store and you're trying to do some serious business.

Spend a little extra and host where the guys understand zencart, and have built their servers to accommodate it.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

It's actually 37,000 products and counting. Just it stopped being able to load once I got to around 12.

Anywho, I am to be under the impression that GoDaddy deals with a lot of pretty heavy-duty websites and as such, should be able to deal with mine. I am currently on the lowest level of Linux hosting (never needed more). I am fully willing to upgrade to something bigger and badder (don't want to switch from GoDaddy though) but what do you think I need to upgrade too (more... what?).

Again, I have plenty of bandwidth and space... so I'm not really sure what I need more of.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

I don't want to look as if I'm giving any host a specific punt, but here's three you should look at:-

Camelot Hosting (First Prize - it's run by a well-known Zencart Guru)
    Cartika Hosting (Their platforms are extremely robust and they understand Zencart 1000%)
    Sash Box

Look at recommended hosts HERE

With 37,000 products you'd be much better off (and will sleep better at night) if you know that the guys looking after the hardware are also concerned about YOU and your webshop.

As I said... it looks like you're trying to go forward with a seriously big shop, and intend to make some seriously big money (I hope you achieve this ) but I really think you must make a sensible investment in where and how you host.

The hosts that know and understand zencart will ensure that their hardware and server set-up is optimised for the purpose.

Don't fool around at this early stage. Hosting with a knowledgeable host may cost a few extra $, but that's just it... its a FEW extra $...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Well... to be honest for someone who has been running a shop with 6,000 products for 6 months and has made roughly 90 dollars, and has no other form of income (I'm a student)... any few dollars is a lot of money. Starting out I may not have said this, but as I've got 6 months without any significant sales, it does not give me a tremendous amount of hope for the future, although I am trying. My performance-shop owning counterparts have many more products than myself.

I understand what your saying but there has to be more of a WHY my site wont load. I highly doubt it is just "GoDaddy, the #1 hosting provider in the nation, who provides hosting for plenty of huge websites, is bad..."

I'm not saying I have anything against these other companies, but the customer service I have recieved from GoDaddy, in combination with their good prices and the fact that I would have to transfer EVERYTHING, makes switching really, really unappealing.

So, what is the REASON it wont load. There has to be a reason, and I haven't seen one yet.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmmm...

The reason is probably BECAUSE it's GoDaddy...

BIG host companies are generally GENERIC (one size fits all).

Zencart needs some very specific settings to function effectively. These include things such as PHP version, MySQL version, and literally HUNDREDS of server-side settings that must be configured to suit the complex functionality of zencart.

Many of these configurations are either NOT installed on bigger shared servers, or are not configured as Zencart needs them to be configured for optimal performance.

Just look at how GoDaddy is treating you now... They say "the problem's probably with Zencart, go there for help..."

But hundreds (thousands) of zencart owners do what you're trying to do and don't have any problems. I use easypopulate two or three times a week (on several webshops - some with 10,000+ products) and I have NEVER had a problem.

I put this down to hosting with guys who know zencart and care about it working properly for their hosted clients.

A proper zencart host wouldn't do that to you.

GoDaddy hosts VERY BIG sites... but I guarantee you, those sites are on dedicated servers, and are managed by non-GoDaddy personnel (ie: personnel that own the site itself).

It is simply not worth looking for cheap shortcuts with zencart hosting. If your (future) income is to be dependent on a reliable webshop, then find the extra few $$$ to host it properly.
    19 years a Zencart User