Plugin Contributions

help question Will ZenCart work for me?

I run a small business making garden markers. I have an online order form which I would like to upgrade to make it easier for me to process my orders. My website is here: http://www.oregonplanetearth.com/ and my online order form is here: http://www.oregonplanetearth.com/ear...rder_form.html

I have over 350 different round garden marker names; they are all exactly the same item, just different names on the garden marker. My average customer orders 6-30 garden markers, sometimes less, sometimes more. When my customer places an online order, I get an email giving me the order details; since the online order form is not secure, they don't provide their credit card number, I have to call them by phone for that.

The things that I like about my online ordering system are:

1) It's easy for the customer to place an order by checking the checkboxes for each garden marker wanted. They can place the order in a few minutes--no call back to the server after placing each garden marker in the cart (there is no cart), then having to click "continue shopping" and repeating that process 5-29 more times.
    2) It works fairly well.
    3) It's done.

The things that I don't like about my online ordering system are:

1) It doesn't work with all ISPs (like AOL). Sometimes a customer will go through the entire process of filling in the online order form and hitting the submit button, and all I get is a blank email message, sometimes I don't even get that.
    2) If the customer wants more than one garden marker of the same name (i.e. 3 Basil), they either have to enter that information in the comments text box, or tell me when they talk to me on the phone since they can't enter the number "3" in a check box
    3) I have to call the customer to get their credit card info--sometimes I play telephone tag for days.
    4) Once I do get their credit card info, I have to make out a credit card slip, call it in, etc.
    5) Most customers doesn't know the total price of their order until they talk to me.
    6) I have to have my own merchant account which costs $10 per month.
    7) I lose some customers because they don't understand the process or don't like it.
    8) Sometimes customers will call to place their order rather than use the online order form--sometimes I get calls at 6:00 AM Pacific Time, which is 9:00 AM Eastern Time.

What I want the new shopping cart to do is:

1) Be easy for my customers to place orders--remember 10-30 items average.
    2) Be secure. I would like to use PayPal for payment.
    3) Be reliable
    4) Work with all ISPs

Will ZenCart work for me? Will ANY shopping cart work for me?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Jackson Hawk

[email protected]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Will ZenCart work for me?

Hi Rogue River! (Klamath Falls here)

Yes!! Zen Cart will work for you. You can make the process much smoother for you and your customers by using the shopping cart. Be aware that is is going to take a little time to get things set up properly, but once done everyone will be happier.

First things first - is your current hosting going to work? You need to have PHP and MYSQL available. Do you have SSL available?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

There is a "multiple add to cart" feature you can enable.

With all your markers as products in one category, there will be a checkbox by each one (I believe a quantity box is also possible); after checking all desired markers, click the "Add Selected" button at the top and it's done.

You would want to have each marker's listing be as compact as possible, and make the number displayed per page be as large as load times will reasonably allow.

Plugin Contributions

Kim,

Thanks for your reply. I use GoDaddy for my hosting. I assume that they have everything that I need, but do I need SSL if I am using PayPal to process the credit card? I need to keep my costs as low as possible, since this is not bringing in very much money.

Jackson

Plugin Contributions

I love your FAQs and your stress test notes!

Your products are good and your site is well-presented. It just needs the Zen machine to drive the sales more effectively.

A suggestion for your gift collection: feature a personalized set with a "Mary's Garden" marker, for the one-time upcharge you note elsewhere. I bet that would be popular. And if it is not worth the time, then your one-time charge needs to be bigger. Oh, the one-time charge handling is a standard ZC feature, too.

Plugin Contributions

gjh42,

Thanks for your replies and kudos. Do you know if I can I have all 350 names on the same page with only the names listed along with a quantity box, or do I need to have an image and description for each name?

The "Mary's Garden" idea is great! I am trying to get away from making custom names, but if I up the price enough it would be worth it.

Jackson

Plugin Contributions

ACK! Before going any further search the forum for godaddy ...
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

The product listing page is pretty much customizable as to what shows and in what order. I'm sure you could get it down to just name, price & quantity box, and possibly ditch the price while keeping the qty box. I don't believe there is any structural impediment to having all the names on one page... probably a lot of scrolling but that may be ok. Without significant images load time should not be a problem.
    There is a column grid mod that arranges the product listing in columns which might be easier to use. Play & find out.