Plugin Contributions

red flag I think this is hotlinking

Ok, so I'm a rookie. I think I have 255+ hotlinks on my site. What is the best way to stop this?

can I use an htaccess file & if so, how do I write it and where do i upload it?

More and more "people" are logging on and my Host co says there is nothing they can do about it.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I think this is hotlinking

Why do you think you want to prevent hotlinks? You know that inbound links are a good thing when it comes to search engines?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I know inbound hits are a good thing. I want to prevent it because I do not know what my site is being used for, if it is illegal or whatever. Plus, at one point, *I* couldn't get on and got an error that said something like too many people on-line or something similar. At that point, there were 250+ hooks.

I purchased a small hosting plan to start with. I figured 250 gigs per month was more than enough -- for now.

Well, I'll take the plus side of inbound hits for the search engine. I'd still prefer to prevent a repeat.

Thanks for the reassurances; it's been a long, long week and panic set in quickly when I saw what was happening.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Honey- 250gigs is MORE than enough. This site gets millions of hits a month and we have downloadable stuff and there are 1000+ people on the site at a time - we use less than 60gigs a month.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Well then, I guess I'd better get to making A LOT more soap!
    Cheryl