Plugin Contributions

Default new user wondering about possibilities

Hello all,

I'm quite new to webshops. Only thing I've done is tinker an installation of cubecart. But up till now I didn't install one myself. I did use and develop on other open source software already though (FCKeditor and Gallery, see http://fckplugins.saulmade.nl/ and http://naturetheme.saulmade.nl/ )

I read about several webshops out there, but cubecart seems most promising and its community looks cool.

So I want to set up a webshop with some specific features. I was wondering if these exist or are not too hard to code myself.

1) I guess that an item can have numerous characteristics that influence its price, no?
    2) And can items have multiple images and multiple sizes of its images?
    3) Can my customers use an e-mail address and password to log in or do they need a login name?
    4) I would like my customers to be able to define how many items are shown per page, is this possible?
    5) Can I customize customerdata and orderdata, i.e. add extra fields?
    6) Can I make filters that customers can apply so they only see the items that satisfy and can they see those items in the same way all items are shown (i.e. not a seperate search page)?
    7) Does the search function of zen cart support AND, OR and NOT ? Does it search for whole words or parts in a word? Are characteristic of items searchable?
    8) Is there a 'mail item' module?
    9) Can I customise the shopping cart and its checkout?
    10) Do customers have the ability to opt for a confirmation mail of their order?
    11) Can the admin mail customers a newletter and select them by criterium. E.g. customers tat haven't visit # months.
    12) Can zen cart generate an order list?

Many thanks for any answer !!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: new user wondering about possibilities

I read about several webshops out there, but cubecart seems most promising and its community looks cool.
    IO hopethat you realize that you are on the Zen Cart Forum!!!
    So I want to set up a webshop with some specific features. I was wondering if these exist or are not too hard to code myself.
    Depends on what you consider hard and what is not already supported...
    1) I guess that an item can have numerous characteristics that influence its price, no?
    This is through attributes
    2) And can items have multiple images and multiple sizes of its images?
    By using the correct naming convention Zen Cart will automatically display additional images and there is 3 sizes but not together on a page
    3) Can my customers use an e-mail address and password to log in or do they need a login name?
    email is used
    4) I would like my customers to be able to define how many items are shown per page, is this possible?
    Not a default selection
    5) Can I customize customerdata and orderdata, i.e. add extra fields?
    Yes
    6) Can I make filters that customers can apply so they only see the items that satisfy and can they see those items in the same way all items are shown (i.e. not a seperate search page)?
    My emphasis - You can make anything you might like as this is open source and you have the code
    7) Does the search function of zen cart support AND, OR and NOT ? Does it search for whole words or parts in a word? Are characteristic of items searchable?
    Yes, and the description text is searchable so place your characteristics there
    8) Is there a 'mail item' module?
    Don't understand what you are describing here??
    9) Can I customise the shopping cart and its checkout?
    Again Open Source - so yes
    10) Do customers have the ability to opt for a confirmation mail of their order?
    By default as owner you can set this to happen or not you would have to code a
    a customer select
    11) Can the admin mail customers a newletter and select them by criterium. E.g. customers tat haven't visit # months.
    The news letter is available the filter you seek is not attached to the news letter
    12) Can zen cart generate an order list?
    There is a low stock level notification but not a purchase order so to speak
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Kobra, thanks for your replies!

Oooops, I of course meant zencart as being the most promising !! What a stupid mistake

6) 'item filters': I understand that I can make any changes myself, but there is no module, code snippet or anything else already existing to (help me) make this happen?

8) 'Mail item to a friend': By a click on a button, pop up a form where the customer can fill in some details to send an email to whom he thinks might be interested in the item. A HTML email would be nice, displaying the item in somewhat the same manner as my zencart will do.

11) 'newletter': What do you mean by that the filter is not attached to the newletter? Is it that there is one, but can't be used in combination with the newletter function?

Thanks again Kobra!

Plugin Contributions

'item filters': I understand that I can make any changes myself, but there is no module, code snippet or anything else already existing to (help me) make this happen?
    You asked "Can I make"...as to the above - the functions exist in the advanced search page and you can hijack this and insert it into the page the you want it.
    'Mail item to a friend': By a click on a button, pop up a form where the customer can fill in some details to send an email to whom he thinks might be interested in the item. A HTML email would be nice, displaying the item in somewhat the same manner as my zencart will do.
    There is already a "tell a friend" function on the product page
    'newletter': What do you mean by that the filter is not attached to the newletter? Is it that there is one, but can't be used in combination with the newletter function?
    There are many filters in the front end...but you asked about the admin side and this is where there is not one for this
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten