Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to find files

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Thank You both for your contributions.
    You are right schoolboy I need to learn more before venturing any further .. I am unsure about that book if all it is a collection of what is on this site (albeit I have to find it) - I'll think about this one.
    The book is a detailed, practical, step-by-step, easy-to-read, easy-to-understand, FUNDAMENTAL resource for the vast majority of Zenners.

I was at one point arrogant enough to assume I knew LOTS about zen cart. After reading the book I found I knew less than 50%.

Seriously, the book is the best way to developing a confident understanding of this very sophisticated e-commerce tool.

If you want to move into e-commerce properly (not just toy around with it) then invest a few dollars in this book.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi Mike,
    Yes there are two ways ..

One - as you say to load an empty file into Root - I tried that but it kept telling me it couldn't find it even though I uploaded it in the top level directory I could find on the server.

The alternative, which seemed easier at the time was to load a given Meta-Tag into the "Head" Tag ..

I think both the same problem as far as I am concerned and that is I am not putting the information in the right place.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kuroi/Schoolboy
    Looks like I am not going to get away without buying this book.
    The problem is a financial one - I have 6 web-sites 4 of which use different build methodologies... and only one uses Zen. If I have to buy books to learn about each of these it will cost me a fortune, so I have to weigh up the pros and cons.

However I am fast going the way of purchasing this particular tome.

Plugin Contributions

A supplementary (but related) question.

Is there a utility for producing a file list (either diagramatically or textual) so I can produce a hierachical description of the files used within the structure of the web-site.

If not maybe someone somewhere has crafted such a thing by hand using something like MS Visio.

I've forgotten the name for such a chart but I am sure you know what I mean - most project management software provides a similar function.

When I received the site there were an awful lot of duplicated files within different directories, many of which I believe are not required to run the site but are there for example if you want to change the template you use. If I could delete these extraneous files it would be easier to find the files I am looking for to amend.

To explain I can produce a chart of my Access based web-site which shows a strict list of those used - and (after doing a backup of course) I was able to eliminate those I did not require so I have a slimmer directory listing and finding the actual files that do any work is subsequently much easier.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Thanks Kuroi/Schoolboy
    Looks like I am not going to get away without buying this book.
    The problem is a financial one - I have 6 web-sites 4 of which use different build methodologies... and only one uses Zen.
    Convert them all to Zen Cart
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

If you are refering to ZC having duplicate files.....not so.....some file have same name but do different things. The custom template will have duplicate files from the default_template that you edit, but the originals in the default_template need to remain there otherwise the cart doesn't know to override them with the ones in your custom_template.

The google file needs to be in the public html directory. public html is considered the root for your site.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12