Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Working on Basic Template While Existing Site Remains Active?

Due to numerous problems with the template I purchased for my site, I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to scrap it and begin again with a basic template.

I don't, however, want my existing website to be offline/inactive while I work on the new template (and with my very basic level of understanding this stuff, I'm scared I will run into problems and the changes will take ages)... so is there a way I can download the template I want, work on that offline, and then override the existing web template?

(Answers in very easy to understand terms would be much appreciated!)

Thanks guys
    Katie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Working on Basic Template While Existing Site Remains Active?

You certainly can.
    The best way to handle development work is to set up a server package on your home computer and work there, so you can test the behavior of your site. When you have it all as you want, then you can transfer it to your live server.

See Making a Local Copy of Your Web Site in the wiki for a start, and check the FAQs.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this.

Install a package like WAMP or EasyPHP and then run ZenCart 1.37 through this package - do I install WAMP (for example) and then come to ZenCart.com to download 1.37? At that point do I just edit the ZenCart by opening up the WAMP package and making necessary changes? And then when eventually I have finished that, upload the files to my website and select them as the template to activate?

I do have the ZenCart book on order, by the way, so hopefully I will be getting guidance from that when it is delivered... I just have such a basic knowledge of the terms and ideas behind this stuff that figuring it all out is tough!

Thanks guys
    Katie

Plugin Contributions

That just about sums it up.

Another method is to create a directory on your server called something like NEWSTORE and - if your host permits it - set up a second database and build your store on the server; the advantage of that is that your test environment is exactly the same as the live store will be; the disadvantage is that it will take longer as you'll have to keep uploading edited files.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Ryk.

I'm not sure if I would be permitted to create the directory on my server - would I be able to do that even though my existing website is running 1.2.7 and the new template would be 1.37? (My existing template can't run with 1.37)

Thanks
    Katie

Plugin Contributions

Creating a directory for your NEWSTORE and uploading ZC137 into it should not be a problem; the only problem you may have is whether your hosting package allows you to have more than one database (now you CAN run it from the same database using a different table prefix, but my own preference is to always keep development stuff well separated from live stuff - even more so if you're not 100% confident in what you're doing )

If your host does not permit this, now may be the time to consider switching to a Zen Cart Certified Host (who will be able to help if you have issues), and perhaps build your new store on there.

Whichever, there is no conflict between versions if you keep things apart.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Since you have the book on order, it may help you to know that it goes through the process of setting up a local XAMPP server in complete step-by-step detail.

Plugin Contributions

Ooh marvellous, step-by-step detail sounds very appealing! I will wait for the book.

Thanks again!
    Katie

Plugin Contributions

I want to re-work my store while keeping the other one live. I am able to create a new database on my server and do it that way, which is easier for me, but my question is this. When I get the new site complete, how do I go about taking out the old one and replacing with the new one? It is probably easier than I am thinking it will be, but I want to make sure that I do it right so that the change is seamless. Any input would be great!

Plugin Contributions

It is easy; there is a full explanation of this question in the FAQs (moving site on your server).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast