Plugin Contributions

Default Really DUMB question...

So, let's say someone were to install Zen and start configuring their shop, only to realize that they didn't rename the dist_config files in the beginning like they were supposed to ...

Where are those config settings stored, if I didn't have the config files renamed when I went through with the install??

PROBLEM: Now that I have the proper config files in place (and CHMOD 777), I need to fill in all the settings manually with the values that were stored when I installed. My store is ALL screwed up now, yikes!!

LOL, does this make sense?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Really DUMB question...

Somewhere along the way through the install ... you managed to place a blank configure.php in the two directories:
    /includes
    /admin/includes

If they had not been there, you could not have installed Zen Cart nor could you later do an Upgrade ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Bizarre, right? That's what I was thinking too. However, there weren't configure.php files in either of those 2 directories when I went looking for them.

I was trying to figure out what was going on with the cache, and I found several threads here pointing me to the configure.php files ... but all I found on my server were the dist-configure.php files. That's when I thought I'd pieced it all together, renamed those to configure.php, and WHAM - I killed my shop!

I know I should have looked at the code before doing that, I know I should have RTFM before installing ... trust me, I'm pretty upset with myself right now.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Well, besides slap yourself?

(I've spent the last 4 days configuring my shop, can I avoid a reinstall?)

PS: to clarify, the configure.php files are currently sitting here with all the factory defaults ... I could try and enter all the info manually, but if my settings are configured somewhere else, I'd really like to see them for reference - since it was all working beautifully before this!
    Last edited by Valaroopie; 13 Mar 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Plugin Contributions

You just need to remake the configure.php files ...

If you look at the dist-configure.php they show you the settings ...

You can backup your database so nothing is lost ... even if you make a mistake on the following and run the
    /zc_install

Only run it up to and including the page:
    Zen Cart™ Setup - Database Setup

And do the Save Database ... then stop!

Now quit the installer ... and do not complete it ...

This will remake the configure.php files from the blank or empty configure.php files ...

Be sure to download to your site after making them the 2 configure.php files from:
    /includes/configure.php
    /admin/includes.php

which now contain your settings for your site ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart™ Setup - System Inspection

NOTE:
    If you are Upgrading, be sure to choose "Database Upgrade" below to keep your data.
    If you choose "Install", you will erase all the contents of your database.

... I've done the backup, I'm assuming I should choose upgrade at this point? (THANK YOU, btw!!)

Plugin Contributions

Actually do you see an Upgrade Cfg Files button or just the Upgrade Database button?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

NVM, I just found my thinking cap

Since I backed up, I felt OK trying the install option; which then put me on the path you described above. Almost done, I'll LYK the results!