Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up Zen Cart To Email Orders Only

Sorry, I posted this over in the wrong forum, the admin configuration, it was 1am! Admin please delete my other post, sorry.

Hi There

I have just dicovered Zen Cart and would just like to say, thank you so much for providing such helpful software completely free, that is awesome.

I have not even tried to set it up yet so this will probably not be the last time I am here! To give you an idea of what I am building at the moment though, this is the link:

http://www.medfoodschch.co.nz - only page 1 is started so far.

For this particular project, I am not after online ordering. All I want is for our customers to be able to go through and add products to the shopping cart, then have the list emailed to our warehouse so that we can fill the orders.

Is this possible with Zen Cart? I am a reliative newbie to all but html, do you think I will have too much trouble setting this up?

Thanks for your time

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up Zen Cart To Email Orders Only

Zen Cart sends copies of ORDER CONFIRMATION emails to anyone you choose to add to the list, but by default, it also sends one to the customer placing the order.

You can configure shipping settings to be bypassed by classifying your products as VIRTUAL (eg, as if they were downloadable software), even if they are NOT virtual in reality (pardon any puns there).

A payment option has to be set, but if you have a little bit of php knowledge, you can "re-work" an existing payment module to basically suggest that the customer confirms things.

I would imagine that what you want to do is possible, but it will take a little bit of tinkering to get it to function exactly as you want it.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by laterales View Post

Is this possible with Zen Cart? I am a reliative newbie to all but html, do you think I will have too much trouble setting this up?
    Okay.... I had a look at your opening page...

It's important to understand the operating principles of modern e-commerce websites. The days of static HTML pages are long gone and today, most websites use dynamic content methods to display information.

Basically, this means that a coded instruction calls up a number of resources from a variety of places:-

a template (or templates)
    a database
    an image folder
    a stylesheet
    some javascript
    etc

Then, depending on what the visitor has "asked" to see, the page is "cobbled" together, parsed into html, then thrown at the browser.

Zen Cart works on this principle and it uses PHP, which is an instructional code used to pull together all the "bits" (resources) out of all those places listed above.

For the database, it uses MySQL

When you look at a zencart PHP code file, you will see very little "HTML" as you know it.

You kinda have to "un-learn" conventional HTML if you want to get your head around this dynamic content approach.

THE REALLY GOOD NEWS IS THIS...

If you have a reasonably competent understanding of internet principles: eg: FTP, file permissions, html, css, images, etc...

Setting up a Zen Cart store is quick and easy.

Judging from your existing web page, illustrating your level of knowledge, I'd say that you could have your shop functional within a few hours.

Within a couple of days you will have sorted all the main issues and within a couple of weeks you'll have a webshop that is starting to look good.

One last thing, Buy the Book (see link, top right of this web page).

It is absolutely essential - particularly for enthusiastic new zenners.

Good luck!

Oh..PS: (kill the google ads . . . you're just pointing potential customers to the opposition!)
    Last edited by schoolboy; 15 Mar 2007 at 02:30 AM.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Wow thanks so much Schoolboy, that's everything I needed to know. I can progress safe in the knowledge I will be able to get it to do what I want it to with a bit of coaxing. I'm sure you haven't seen the last of me!

I really hope I can help someone as much as you have helped me one day.

Thanks heaps again