Plugin Contributions

Default Optimize Zencart?

What can be done to optimize zencart?

How do i know that i have disabled everything that zencart is not using?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Optimize Zencart?

1. Disable the counter (thats what i have webstats for)
    I removed everything in counter.php except for illegal access, everything else in there looked like bloat.

2. Disable counter of products viewed (I will probably enable this i the future)

Plugin Contributions

I need to be able to optimize it. What settings can i use? What can i remove? How can i make it run better?

I am on a dedicated media temple server and i get around 500 people shopping at one time and it crashes my server everytime. This is getting completely annoying.

Plugin Contributions

It isn't Zen Cart you need to adjust - it is your MYSQL server settings that need to be changed.

This site is has over 1000 people on board and any one time and runs Zen Cart a knowledgebase and the forum.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

K, can you point me in the right direction?

I think that there should be a knowledge base article about this. Or is it common knowledge stuff that webmasters should already know about?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by poil11 View Post
    K, can you point me in the right direction?

I think that there should be a knowledge base article about this. Or is it common knowledge stuff that webmasters should already know about?
    Optimizing a server for SQL performance is not something the average storeowner has any control over. It is the responsibility of the webhost server administrator to fine-tune server performance.

Zen Cart finds its greatest delays on servers whose MySQL database engine is poorly tuned or otherwise bogged-down in requests.

The best way to make mySQL run quickly is to allocate lots of RAM to it and tweak its internal caching settings to keep as many recently-run or commonly-run queries cached in RAM as possible. These are typically settings in my.cnf config files etc.

There are guides for tuning over at the MySQL website, and server administrators can find server tuning and optimization tips on other sites such as webhostingtalk.com etc.

Oh ...and for those who might find cause to attack the statement above about Zen Cart finding delays on mysql engine performance ... note that v1.4 has been under development for quite a while and has hugely reduced the amount of database querying that is done on each page of the store. This should help provide notable performance gain on the sites who suffer the most from poor tuning. Release date for 1.4 is not yet determined.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.