Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Ready to go live but it's in the wrong folder

I've been fooling with Zen for a while and I'm anticipating getting things rolling for real.

Initially I installed a "Zen Cart" folder at the top level of my domain where a site currently resides along with the index.html page to get you there.

I think now that I want to make the Zen Cart the first things you see but not exactly sure how to do that now that everything is edited and set up in a folder.

I'm gonna take a guess but can some of you professors check me out?

1. Take all the files/folders within the "Zen Cart" folder and move/copy them one level up so there at the top level where the current "index.html" pages exists.

2. Edit paths in both /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php wherever it reads "/zencart/" to just "/"

3. I'm done, now I should be able to still login in admin at http://mysite.com/mynamedadminfolder/login.php
    (versus what was previously http://mysite.com/mynamedadminfolder/login.php) and everything will be just like it was!

Miracle if I'm right but at least I'm guessing now!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Ready to go live but it's in the wrong folder

Looks like the basics. Check the FAQ section for some more detailed articles on moving.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kim.

I tried to not abuse the forum but haven't had too much luck with searching for the few stumpers I've had.

Think I've been using too many words and not starting at FAQ which is a good pointer since my questions are probably all in there.

Found it and I'll copy it for future use.

Don't you guys ever sleep!?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffey View Post
    Don't you guys ever sleep!?
    It's been known to happen.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I just did this with one of my shops:-

www/mysite.com/shop/index.php

to

www/mysite.com/index.php

This is what I did...

Using c-panel, create a directory called 'new' in the root (ie: same level as public_html folder. - on some servers public_html directory could be called something else, but it's the directory into which all html and php files/folders reside).

COPY all folders and files that are in /shop/ , to new

(Don't use "MOVE" - use "COPY" - just in case you need to revert)

Then... (Assuming that there's only zen cart stuff in public_html) ...

Check to see that ALL folders and files that exist in /shop/ ALSO now exist in new .

Check permissions.

RE-NAME public_html to public_old

RE-NAME new to public_html

Alter configure.php files to show the move UP to root directory

(all instances of /shop/ changed to / ).

Ensure that all href's in all files follow the new path - otherwise they'll call the resource from the /shop/ directory and sub-directories within - so you'll still see them in the browser, but they'll be referencing the resource from the wrong path!

TEST WEBSITE

(Keep /shop/ intact for a while, just in case you omitted something).

After a few days, RE-NAME /shop/ to /shop_old/ and rigorously test every feature in your site to see if there are bad calls into that old directory. By re-naming /shop/ you'll get a "Page Not Found" if there are still bad calls.

NOTE: If you run other things on the site, that SHARE public_html with Zen Cart, then these are going to have to be copied/moved into the NEW folder as well.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Nice suggestions, schoolboy!
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks schoolboy, I'll have to read it again since you threw me with the public_html stuff after the initial site structure (mysite.com/index.php) which I tracked with. I'm a little bleary from another full day of work on this stuff so it's likely me!

Though no one specifically gave me the nod I think my original concept is right and I just want to replace my whole site structure which is now an antiquated mysite.com/index.html (and obviously all the files in the site from that point) to
    mysite.com/index.php (with all the zen stuff that follows).

Mispoke when I used the term "move", whatever way I do it I'm always super conservative with testing and saving old stuff and would use copies.

Thanks everyone.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, just to reinterate.

In addition to the nod that I was on the right track with the procedure I was looking for the names of the files that would be effected and would need to be edited for the new path once things are in the right place. Think it's just /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php

Plugin Contributions

Yes... once you've moved/copied all the files, it's just the configure.php files that need altering - that's the beauty of zen cart...

Another way to do this (but it's more time consuming) is to FTP everything to your hard drive, from the server... (In effect, it's like the "copy" procedure I describe above.)

Then you FTP it back to your root directory, and then edit the configure.php.

FTP with LARGE data quantities always runs the risk of corruptions, so I don't advocate this method. But it is an option...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I'll just elaborate a bit on the purpose of CONFIGURE.PHP and what I meant when I spoke about checking <href> links:-

CONFIGURE.PHP
    (both of them) are nothing more than the "starting guns" for your webshop. They specify where everything is HOUSED, and the status of the FUNDAMENTAL SETTINGS, such as SSL.

Before Zen Cart dives enthusiastically into the database and files (like a child into a toybox), it knows it has to get its act together, and establish where everything is stored. (I wish I had a configure.php for my kids!)

<href>
    It's possible that you have placed hyperlinks in various places - eg: product descriptions, ezpages, define pages, etc.

If you have done this, then those links may reference the resource via the old SUB-FOLDER, rather than the ROOT DIRECTORY

EG: You could have a link embedded somewhere that reads:

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/shop/suppliers/joesoap.html">joe's page</a>

when it should be reading:

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/suppliers/joesoap.html">joe's page</a>

IF you've NOT embedded any hyperlinks then its highly unlikely you'll have problems.
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast