Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: About Blue Voda hosting Zen Cart

Linda... please... close this post... I'm goin' into melt-down!
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Tracie,

Look in your host's links for the FTP tutorial - that should help ypu with any host-specific issues.

Look in the wiki here (in Customisation - More Advanced) for the Making a local copy of your Web site article for details specific to ZC.

"nothing was downloaded on my computer... "
    This is normal for a site installed on a hosted server. You can/should make your own copy for development (see above).
    Last edited by gjh42; 15 Mar 2007 at 09:44 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Linda... please... close this post... I'm goin' into melt-down!
    Okay... let's be more serious, schoolboy - or it's detention. Dragonhorse needs assistance, and regardless of where the site is hosted, we'll try to help where we can.

Dragonhorse... can you specify exactly what you CAN and CAN'T do with this webhost.

It will be helpful to know if:-

1. you have FTP access to your files
    2. you have a http-based Control Panel where you administer your domain
    3. you have access to your database - possibly through phpMyAdmin

If you want to operate a serious, professional webshop, you do actually need these services in place at your host.

Zen Cart is fun to use... but it's not a toy. If things ever go "wonky" in the future, you will need to have these services (1 to 3 above) in order to resolve problems. Afterall, you will be dealing with the public who will be paying you money and trusting you to deliver a product or service in return. Your customers will expect that you have built your website in a manner that assures security and privacy, and that you comply with laws that regulate distance-selling.

It's fantastic that you like zen cart, and that you want to start a webshop, but my advice is to do so on the right footing.

If your current host offers these services - AND HAS THE APPROPRIATE SERVER PLATFORM - then that's fine.

If they don't, then stop wasting time and do things differently.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Sorry .... I havent been on ... I found FTP access... but if you go to the site... www.dragonhorsestudio.net/spiritwalker1 you can see that I am like a lost little puppy... who took programming 16 years ago...

Plugin Contributions

I changed the CHMOD to 644 and tried 444 but I still get the security warning.... I will try my control panel/file manager to see where I can get to...

Plugin Contributions

I usually change the setting in CPanel. You can try whatever webmaster panel you have. Remember there are two config files, so make sure you're changing the setting on the right one.

Oooo! Dream Catchers!
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I tried the control panel/file-manager and I still get the warning.... ... I change it on both config files not knowing which one to do ... so I went back and reset... sooooo.... lol....

I custom make Dream Catchers too!!!!

Yes I am very serious about my store getting up and running right....
    Open my gallery at the end of May ... Need the website as well ....

Plugin Contributions

Going to make a local copy as well .... Thanks for all the help you guys....

Plugin Contributions

Hmmmmm....

Dragonhorse,

I come back to an original point about professional zencart hosting...

I am in no position to comment about the merits and demerits of any particular host service, but the reality is that zencart is a sophisticated tool, built to exacting professional standards - and it requires some very specific settings on the host server to function to optimal performance.

It also requires technical competency and a commitment to domain management processes set-up that enable the zencart store owner to have proper administrative access to the server and domain.

The forum is riddled with posts by anxious zen cart enthusiasts who are experiencing problems with server-related issues, and in many cases, it's because people have been persuaded by "iffy" hosting companies, to "set up a website" at either no cost, or a cost that is so ridiculously low, that the offer can't be resisted.

Proper e-commerce has to be done professionally. If you are selling goods/services to customers, there's an obligation to do this in a manner that assures customers of operational efficiency, ethical and legal responsibility, data privacy and functional reliability.

If your goal is to establish a proper online business, to earn a living and make some profits, then you ought to consider setting up your store with a team that knows and understands its complexities.

The certified zencart hosts all charge VERY REASONABLE hosting fees, but more than that - they have the EXPERTISE to do it properly for you.

Think about this. Your current host appears to be targeting the average person who believes they need a "website" on which they can display pictures of the family, describe their last vacation, and report on how the kids are doing at school...

... and if that's all you want to do, then they are the PERFECT choice for hosting.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you School Boy...
    I hear you loud and clear... So... I am taking off the link with Bluevoda... and closing what I have ... have already installed all I need for Zen Cart on my computer. .. totally right stay away from voda hosting zen cart you cant get to all the folders and files you need to make zen cart run properly ... Am working on my new store now ... will post when I get through and need a test run ..... ....lol...or get stuck again

Thanxs again Tracie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast