Plugin Contributions

Default Price Factor - adding product price

I am having a problem with price factors, which I hope someone can explain for me. I have set up my product with a product price of £6 and various size attributes which I'm using price factors to calculate the price of (eg the product price is per metre £6, the smallest attribute is a half metre which I'm using a factor of 0.5 for, hence a price of £3). The prices look OK when viewing the product details, but when I add a product to my shopping basket it adds the product price and attribute price, eg for the half metre the price in the shopping basket is £9. I've got the e-Start book which is fantastic, but isn't helping with this problem. Page 190 (bottom) says that you can optionally combine the product price and the price factor, but it doesn't say how this is achieved (and by implication how I could switch the darn thing off!). I've trawled the forums for hours with no success, so if anyone can shed light on this I'd be very grateful. I'm sure I've changed a setting somewhere, but it's defeated me.
    Thanks
    Alison

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Price Factor - adding product price

I'm afraid I don't really understand your problem .. but my guess is you want to price your product based on its attributes. If this is indeed the case, go to your Admin Console and set the Product Priced by Attributes field of the product to Yes.

After that, either change the product's price in the Product screen or change the values in the Price Factor or Price fields in the Attributes Controller screen to see whether the changes meet your needs.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for replying, I had done all you suggested and it still added the product price to the attribute prices. I've given up on price factors now and will use Excel to calculate the prices, then upload them with Easy Populate, another great utility. Thanks for writing the e-Start book, it's worth its weight in gold Regards, Alison

I've struck exactly the same problem.

I have a few products that are priced per metre.

I'm no expert on attributes, but the only way I can get it to work right is to have an attribute that is a pulldown box and have values for it of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. Then assign a price factor of 0 for pulldown value 1. Then price factor of 1 for value 2, price factor 2 for value 3, etc.

You can also do half metre values the same way.

Not ideal as the pull down values end up having a price that is in addition to the base price. So not so clear to the customer, but at least it works.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've given up with attributes altogether now, and just sell by the whole metre. It's much simpler!

Yeah, I can understand doing that for per metre products.

I still like the ability to have a pull down box where the customer can see all the prices for different metre lengths immediately on screen.

My method above works, but isn't ideal as it does not display the total price, just the extra price above the starting length(.5 metre, 1 metre etc).

So if anyone comes up for a way to do this it would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Can I have a look at your website to see what your solution looks like?