Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Shipping and Coupons

I am having a problem which I have seen others have had but no fix has been made or suggested. The problem is the relationship between coupons and shipping. My client uses zone rates exclusivly and issues coupons to be used for a % discount. When you enter in the coupon code the shipping charge stays the same even though the price drops below the shipping rate. Example:

You have a table where shipping is $10 for orders under $75 and free for orders over $75

so a person purchases a product for $76.00 shipping is $0 but then a coupon is applied for 15% off making the order total now $76.00 * 0.85 = $64.60 after the discount which is not right it should now be $10 because the price droped below the table value. This seems like a bug...

Any Suggestions or solutions others have?

Zen Cart 1.3.6
    ---------------------------------
    Barracuda Productions pure instincts

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping and Coupons

Cuda - this isn't a bug per se, because the code is doing what it is supposed to. It is somewhat of a problem though.

When you get into doing multiple discounts (free shipping and a coupon) you run into to needing rules about who does what when - Zen Cart does not have the ability to set some of the rules and the checkout process further complicates the problem. The Shipping is calculated before a coupon is applied and not recalculated after.

So - The question is what do you do for now? Look at your bottom line - is the situation you described happening often? Are you losing money on those sales? If so perhaps you need to adjust the Free shipping limit upwards or maybe increase your prices a tiny bit across the board to compensate - it all depends on your particular business.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kim I knew this was not a code bug but more a logic bug, this is for a client and the problem does arise quite often actually.....since there is only two shipping amounts to be charged either $10 or $0 where are the files I would start looking at to make code changes to re-evaluate the shipping cost after a coupon code was entered? I have searched but it seems to be buried well in the core of zen cart.

Do you think a fix is even resonable or would it mess to much with the whole cart?

Plugin Contributions

Kim...

Can this be addressed by altering the SORT ORDER in Order Total module?

If she puts the coupon ABOVE the shipping charge in OT???
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

No HE can not fix it that way.....That only changes the way things display and how tax is calculated it will not go back and recalculate the shipping once it has been chosen....I've tried it...thanks!

It seems like it would be fairly simple to put in an extra check on the shipping when things are calculated but like I said I have looked a bit in the code and it seems this is deep in the core and may effect other parts of the checkout process....looking for some more input from the zen team....thanks

Plugin Contributions

... on second thoughts... no ?
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Cuda -

Sorry, but there is not a quick easy fix and this is one of the issues that will be addressed when the checkout is rewritten.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kim I figured have searched and searched and dug and dug.....is there a main file that does the calculations for output though?

Plugin Contributions

If I were shopping at a site, knowing that if I spend $75 I get free shipping, I don't think I'd be too happy if I earned the discount THEN got hit for shipping. My argument (as a customer) would be that I'd fulfilled MY part and spent $75. The SHOP OWNER decided to give me a discount.

NB This is not a criticism - but just how your customers may react - you're giving with one hand... then snatching it back with the other.

A solution may be to invoke your discount at $90.00

If a customer buys $89.99 worth, then they get no discount, but if they buy $90 then the get the 15% and they pay $76.50 (above the shipping threshold) so they dont get annoyed now...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    If I were shopping at a site, knowing that if I spend $75 I get free shipping, I don't think I'd be too happy if I earned the discount THEN got hit for shipping. My argument (as a customer) would be that I'd fulfilled MY part and spent $75. The SHOP OWNER decided to give me a discount.

NB This is not a criticism - but just how your customers may react - you're giving with one hand... then snatching it back with the other.

A solution may be to invoke your discount at $90.00

If a customer buys $89.99 worth, then they get no discount, but if they buy $90 then the get the 15% and they pay $76.50 (above the shipping threshold) so they dont get annoyed now...
    Great logic school boy!!! and I agree now if my client hadn't already given out the coupon without price restrictions and he didn't want people who order less then $75 to have a discount too....I suppose two coupons would resolve this but that gets confussing on the cutomers end...but next time that is the way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast