Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is Zen Cart the answer for this site?

Also...

Things I needed for my client were already built in and the override system was easier to work with (after the learning curve of course!)
    This learning curve for the override system... Is it hard to tackle because it's illogical and not very efficient, or is the learning curve there just because you have to learn how to do it in a particular way? (Hope that made sense!)

Plugin Contributions

cause it needs to be done in a particular way,
    as for the book, most definitly
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Though I have never read the book myself, I do hear that it is highly recommended. However, these forums are gold mines that are filled with all the information you will need to customize your site. ZC has been around for a long time, so there is a 99.9% chance that any question you have has already been asked by someone else. I'm not trying to steer you away from the book, just letting you know that all the info you need to set up a shop can be found on this site.

Plugin Contributions

The book is definitely NOT something that was slapped together from bits and pieces on the net.

Merlin is right (of course) that the learning curve is due to the particular way the customization needs to be done. Once you get the hang of it, the logic is clear and you'll wonder why you thought it was difficult.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Hello.

Thanks... Zen Cart does look good for me. I've ordered the book too - thought might as well get my teeth into it!

I ordered it last week... How long does it usually take to come? I live in the UK... That Lulu site - it's like they make the books to order right?

How long did yours take to come?

Plugin Contributions

I just wanted to add my three cents.. ZenCart for me is the way to go as someone else stated because everything you need is already built in.. osCommerce's real turn orr for me were the MANY mods available. Some were good others not so much.. When I was playing around with osCommerce I learned that mods written by certain developers were the only ones that I could trust.. I decided that this was NOT the platform under which I wanted to build a website for anyone as the nature of the development was inherently unstable and trustworthy..

A friend turned me on to ZenCart, and I can tell you ONE of the biggest reasons I converted.. Linda McGrath.. When I mentioned above that I learned that only certain OSC mods could be trusted IMO, she was ONE of the developers I meant.. When I saw that she was here as part of the ZenCart team -- that and reading and testing how this was a MUCH better pacackage than OSC -- well that was all I needed..

I am HOOKED on ZenCart, to the point that I will be converting a client (who's site I just launched in October) from VirtueMart to ZenCart because I'm so bullish on this package.. The learning curve isn't too bad if you've got some familiarity with HTML and the structure of dynamically driven site structures and logic. If you're a developer, (I'm not) you'll probably have practically NO learning curve.. Plus the FAQs, book and forum are EXCELLENT resources to get you off and running.. I've already launched one ZenCart site, and and getting ready to launch two more very soon.. Did I mention that I'm hooked!!!

Plugin Contributions

Wow! Another Zen Cart lover!

To be honest - I haven't yet heard one bad thing said against Zen Cart. Not one thing at all. I'm definitely going to be using this for some projects I got! Thanks for your comments Diva! (and everyone else!)

I'm just waiting for my book... It's been a week since I placed an order... How long did it take for you lot to get yours? (I live in the UK)

(Anyone notice how impatient I am!)
    Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

First some editorial corrections -- I was on my way out the door when I typed my last post..
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaVocals View Post
    I just wanted to add my three cents.. ZenCart for me is the way to go as someone else stated because everything you need is already built in.. osCommerce's real turnoff for me were the MANY mods available. Some were good others not so much.. When I was playing around with osCommerce I learned that mods written by certain developers were the only ones that I could trust.. I decided that this was NOT the platform under which I wanted to build a website for anyone as the nature of the development was inherently unstable and untrustworthy..

A friend turned me on to ZenCart, and I can tell you ONE of the biggest reasons I converted.. Linda McGrath.. When I mentioned above that I learned that only certain OSC mods could be trusted IMO, she was ONE of the developers I meant.. When I saw that she was here as part of the ZenCart team -- that and reading and testing how this was a MUCH better package than OSC -- well that was all I needed..

I am HOOKED on ZenCart, to the point that I will be converting a client (who's site I just launched in October) from VirtueMart to ZenCart because I'm so bullish on this package.. The learning curve isn't too bad if you've got some familiarity with HTML and the structure of dynamically driven websites and logic. If you're a developer, (I'm not) you'll probably have practically NO learning curve.. Plus the FAQs, book and forum are EXCELLENT resources to get you off and running.. I've already launched one ZenCart site, and and getting ready to launch two more very soon.. Did I mention that I'm hooked!!!
    Lastly.. Jim I'm glad we could help.. You will LOVE ZenCart.. Everyday I discover something else about it that really has me in love.. I think it's the most complete e-commece solution out there that I've seen.. I love that the mods aren't all over the place either.. OSC has MULTIPLE mods to do the same thing, and you have to REALLY investigate which mod will do what you need and play well with the other mods.. No darn standards whatsoever.. Not so here.. Good luck with your site(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12