Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default generial ssl question

i am having real trouble with ssl using fast hosts and i have given up!

question is should i cancle my sever with fast host and probally get charged or should i run without ssl??

what exactally is the ssl and what issues would i have without it?

i know it has to do with security of the site but would that be security of my site being hacked or my database or what?? what exactally could happen??

all my customs will be paying through paypal so i dont see any creditcard details being stored within my site.

advice please

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: generial ssl question

As long as you donot collect any Cerdit card data on your site, you can run without it. I would make a clear description of your payment method so as to make your customers aware that you/they will not be entering their info on your site
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

so if payment is made using the paypal instant payment thing on zen would i need ssl??

Plugin Contributions

right i looked at the cert servers on here to look into changing servers, but now i confused more, 99-hosts offer 3 levels of ssl what does that mean??

Plugin Contributions

any help???? basically i need to know, do i cancle my server with fasthosts and more to a nother server which are more expensive etc etc just for ssl, or will i not require ssl if all payments are made thought paypal???

Plugin Contributions

using paypal you will note NEED ssl however you will fond that most people wont put their personal details in a site that dosnt have the padlock
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    using paypal you will note NEED ssl however you will fond that most people wont put their personal details in a site that dosnt have the padlock
    so it will need ssl, but dont you when using the paypal instant payment option do you just redirect to paypal ssl server not actally my server???

but basically your saying cancle my server and move to someone else??

ok working on that option of cancle and move,

how would i go about this?? i can open a new account with a different server but oviously i done alot of work with settings and products manfactures etc etc can i move all this infor to a new server so i dont have to start from 100% scratch and waist another 2 months of business or what??

also noticed on the hosting lists that they all have bandwith limits and server size, which i didn't worry about with fasthost as they have no limit and i got a massive server with them to be sure.

my site will have over 2000 products on there so what size will i be looking at do you think???

also noticed that some servers offer to install zen etc already on the server, is this a good option???

Also regarding the padlock, i never actally noticed it eva untill i started to make this site for the business

Plugin Contributions

I am not telling you to move,
    and yes paypal servers its own ssl to revceive payments,

as for the bandwidth and file size limit,

the folks that offer unrealistic amounts of space use it as a marketing tool, because they know you will never come close,
    its kinda like the 99.9% uptime guarantee SLA ( Service level agreement )
    thats another marketing trick,
    since if you read the fine print for almost all of them its states that this 99.9 is over the course of the entire year. and does not include maintenance and network outages.

your 2000 product site will most likely never take up a gig of space, ( unless you have REALLY BIG image files).

and the bandwidth shouldnt be an issue, when you get to where you are using 30 40 and 50 GB of bandwidth a month you will be in the market for a private server anyway

Plugin Contributions

Merlin makes a good point about folks not comfortable putting in any kind of contact info without seeing the security lock...

My advice is, one you are paying for a service, you can't get the service to work right for you.. Then if you are unhappy with the service or not getting the level of support you should you should be getting, then switch.

Merlin prettly much has the other bases covered on looking at your space and bandwitdh requirements. As far as transfering, there are several sites which will help you move your current setup...

Bottom line is if you are not getting the level of serivice from your hosting provider, then it is up to you do either put up with it or move...

--Mitch
    Mitchell Baker
    CoffeeCup Software Ambassador
    Get 20% Off CoffeeCup Web Design Software
    Use this code when you checkout: 226STS
    --------------------
    www.getcoffeecup.com

Plugin Contributions

thanx ghost,

I did forget to mention that there are hosts out there that will actually move your site for you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast