Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: generial ssl question

so if i dont move from fasthost and dont use a ssl server will i not be able to use the paypal instant payment interface???

Plugin Contributions

as was stated above you do not need an ssl to use paypal.

what was said is that people dont always like putting their name address phone number and shoe size ( LOL HERE ) into a non secure site.

it will not affect the ability to collect payment,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

oh right good, so basically i could run the site perfectly for say a year without ssl and not have any problems, then if its profitable enought i can invest some more time and money moving to a better server with ssl and then look into recieving payments via other methos than paypal, eg direct credit card payments

Plugin Contributions

Yes this is totally possible,

however remember that if a customer dosnt create an account because they are not comfortable with the lack of security then there is a sale that never makes it to paypal
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    Yes this is totally possible,

however remember that if a customer dosnt create an account because they are not comfortable with the lack of security then there is a sale that never makes it to paypal
    KitCorsa,

Merlin is Sooooo Right! It is 'possible' to do as you have said. However, your credibility will probably suffer. And, in ECommerce it's all in the Customer's perception. View this from a Customer's point of view.

Customer: Which site should I buy this product from? The one without a 'secure' connection or, the one without? The business owner that cares enough to go the extra mile to secure all of my data (even my login name and password) or, the one that just sends me to PayPal.

And what about protecting the customer that doesn't know better. We have a responsibility to make their experience as safe as possible.

This Secure site issue is becoming more and more of a concern these days. Just do a google search for ID theft! Some of the ways these people steal ID's is to get into store sites that are not secured and extract valuable information.

I still maintain that $5-$10 / month is a very small price to pay for a better sense of security for your customers. Invest in your business!

And, installing a Certificate is not a problem. So, if you host has problems with it, move on. There are many others out there who know how to get things done.

Plugin Contributions

All good points so far for using SSL. Also KitCorsa you have to wonder how good the support will be from your provider if they can't get a SSL cert to work. Will you have same problems if some other issue crops up in a couple months which would bring you off line?
    Mitchell Baker
    CoffeeCup Software Ambassador
    Get 20% Off CoffeeCup Web Design Software
    Use this code when you checkout: 226STS
    --------------------
    www.getcoffeecup.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12