Thread: OpenSSL

Plugin Contributions

Default OpenSSL

G'day folks, Just a quick question? Anyone using OpenSSL on their Zen Cart? I found it last night at www.openssl.org. (open source software for making ya own SSL Cert.) Is it suitable? is it ok? is it easy?!!! any comments welcome. It says it is illegal to use this cryptology software in some countries but i havent found out which ones yet. Anyone know about it or using it? any input highly appreciated.
    Arpeggio

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: OpenSSL

OpenSSL is used on most apache-driven hosting accounts.
    I suggest you talk to your host about using it.

If you're actually asking about creating a self-signed certificate so you can have a free SSL service on your site and save spending $35 for a real certificate, I recommend you look deeper, because self-signed certificates display warnings to customers ... which will drive away sales. Again, you can talk to your host about access to SSL certificates for your particular hosting account.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Oh really!! Didn't know that. It wasn't just about saving $35 bucks although i didn't think i could get one so cheap!! (can you advise me where i may get it so cheap?!!) I was actually more about doing my entire site in OS software as a challenge!! Thanks for the advice Sensei Byte.

Plugin Contributions

http://www.namecheap.com/
    Rapid SSL Certificate currently on offer at above
    for $12.88 with Free Seal

Plugin Contributions

this will also require a dedicated IP address from your host,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for this guys. Does that mean Merlin, that i therefore need 2 IP addresses? One for standard "http" and another for "https"? therefore i must in effect pay for 2 sites instead of one? if so is there an alternative if i dont want to use the server's existing SSL?
    Thank you all so much once again.
    I heard it's Easter (got a call from mum!!) so happy easter too!!
    arpeggio.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by arpeggio View Post
    Thank you so much for this guys. Does that mean Merlin, that i therefore need 2 IP addresses? One for standard "http" and another for "https"? therefore i must in effect pay for 2 sites instead of one? if so is there an alternative if i dont want to use the server's existing SSL?
    Thank you all so much once again.
    I heard it's Easter (got a call from mum!!) so happy easter too!!
    arpeggio.
    No. Your hosting company will need to set up a dedicated IP for your website -- for both HTTP and HTTPS traffic. You'll likely pay a few dollars more per month for that capability, depending on the service you've subscribed to. The SSL certificate you buy will get tied to that IP address when they install it for you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.