Plugin Contributions

Default Canada Post Module

The site only offers 2 forms of shipping. Canada Post and Free Shipping.
    I installed the Canada Post module and did a few test runs comparing the results to Canada Posts online rate calculator. All seems fine .. except for a "fuel surcharge" not showing in the calculated rate. No biggie.

Where things start to get weird is when I add a "free shipping" item to the cart in addition to the item using CP. On Step 1 I get "Canada Post (2 box(es) to be shipped)" and the shipping total is now $10.00 more. I changed the product detail in the admin panel to 0 weight and 0 dimensions for that item ... but nothing changes.

If I remove the item that has a shipping charge I still get the Canada Post shipping details on the checkout page... even though Free Shipping only has been configured.

How do I correct this?

B

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canada Post Module

something? anything?

I need help with this ... as I've looked through over a hundred pages of the forum and can't seem to find a definitive answer

could someone at least point me in the right direction ...

as a side note: if this falls under "this question has been asked a hundred times before" why doesn't someone "pin" or "sticky" these seemingly redundant questions? To go back some 50+ pages dated 2 years ago to find an answer that may or may not work depending on the version or to not find an answer at all seems a little absurd.

This is my second post that has gone unanswered ... I have no idea why I'm getting zero responses ... I try to be as succinct as possible, I don't use foul language, I think that my questions are viable ...

Plugin Contributions

How is the Free Shipping Product free?

Is this by weight? As in ... is products_weight 0
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    How is the Free Shipping Product free?

Is this by weight? As in ... is products_weight 0
    Maybe I'm missing something here ... but ... the module freeshipper is enabled and then the product is designated "Yes, Always Free Shipping".

Is this not right?

Plugin Contributions

There are a few ways to do Free Shipping ...

0 weight and the setting 0 weight is Free Shipping in the Shipping/Packaging setting ...

Always Free Shipping ...

And both cases you should have loaded the Free Shipping freeshipper ...

The Canada Post appears to count the quantity of items as the number of boxes ... so that qty 11 on a Product (free shipping or not) and quantity 1 of a Product of weight is coming up as 12 boxes ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I just got off the phone with CP tech support and was told that the problem is with the shopping cart and/or module.

They told me that there should be some way to keep the CP module from handling an item that is designated as free shipping. Something like
    If {item_shipping="free" do NOTHING} (I never professed to be a PHP wizard, but you get the idea).

In other words, completely ignore that item when flagged as free shipping.

So .. I really haven't resolved anything at this point and can't put the store online until I do so ...

Plugin Contributions

Then the module needs to be re-written to account for free shipping like the other shipping modules are that come with Zen Cart ...

Got your coder hat on?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Then the module needs to be re-written to account for free shipping like the other shipping modules are that come with Zen Cart ...

Got your coder hat on?
    With all respect Ajeh. I appreciate your assistance. But ...
    I shouldn't need my coder hat on!

The Canada Post module is flawed.

You yourself state that it should "account for free shipping like the other shipping modules are that come with Zen Cart".

In other words ... "the module doesn't work like it should!

Brian

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

in the /includes/modules/shipping/canadapost.php file, around line 142, you have this:
    Code:
     $this->_addItem ($products_array[$i][quantity], $products_array[$i][final_price], $products_array[$i][weight], $products_array[$i][length], $products_array[$i][width], $products_array[$i][height], 'online_product', $products_array[$i][ready_to_ship], $products_array[$i][dim_type], $products_array[$i][weight_type]);
    Insert a new line directly above that one, saying this:
    Code:
    if (zen_get_product_is_always_free_shipping($products_array[$i]['id'] == false)
    Then do a test to see if you're getting the right quotes back.
    In theory this should skip sending any details to Canada Post for any products receiving free shipping.
    Thus, while *you* will have to pay for the shipping on those "free" items, at least the customer will not be charged for them.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte

Will have to file this for future consideration ... my customer couldn't wait ... so we decided to do table rate shipping ...

thank you

Brian
    Last edited by Briank58; 26 Apr 2007 at 05:36 AM.