Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Home Linux Server - Gmail help

Now I have had an idea.

I have heard about this pop over or before smtp when you have to log in with pop details before you can send email's. Is that what is happening here?

Is that even possable to setup within postfix?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm going to interject a question from the sidelines ... just an observation and I'm sure others would be interested in knowing ...

... what is the rationale behind hosting this yourself vs on a commercially-hosted webserver ?

A commercial webserver wouldn't have the port 25 limitation. It would have a built-in mailserver which would allow you to send emails directly from your own domain. It would have faster bandwidth access. And technical administration wouldn't have to be handled by yourself.

Just a thought. Some like to handle it directly. I would think that you'd maybe rather spend your time running the store than managing the server. Not to mention the improved performance of having the server sit directly on a public ISP backbone.

To each his own of course.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

This is a good question and I am happy to answer.

I am new to Zen Cart and I have heard a lot of great things about it.
    I would like to test it out before I start using it properly and using a home server makes this learning curve more financially viable.

It is a large piece of software and learning how to adapt and control the aspects of Zen Cart is not gonna happen overnight and it is very helpful to have this at home.

Also having these little problems and resolving them makes the forum a better place for people wanting to find resolutions for their problems so in turn makes it possible for more people to use Zen Cart who may not have because of their problems.

Also the home server thing was a personal project of my own and so now I have it why not use it.

I understand Web Hosting services are a much better idea and once I know how to use Zen Cart I will move over to them but for now I am happy learning here on my home server.

And I would just like to add that this all makes for a better community. I have really enjoyed the forum here and I am very grateful to Chuckl for all the help.
    Last edited by revsie; 15 Apr 2007 at 08:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Understood. Those are good reasons. And they are the kinds of reasons I'd hoped you'd mention ... because that's the rationale a future reader of this thread needs to see ... and compare with ... to determine whether this is the right approach for them or not, and possibly understand better some of the challenges they might face in continuing down this road.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I'm back, one DSLAM and one router later. Line suddenly went away, amazing how it always happens out of support hours...
    I noticed tho, there's a whole world out there during the day, sun, plants, birds animals...

Revsie, there's a zip attached with some sample postfix files, could you PM me with an email add. if you would, for some extra files.
    I've tested these to gmail and they work fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Chuckl. It's good to see you back. It wouldn't be the same without you.

I will send everything over as soon as I can.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I tried everything you asked but still nothing although the mail.log makes for interesting reading.

Looks like there maybe some more setting up to do.

What do you suggest?

Plugin Contributions

I have looked at the main.cf file and it looks like it might have something to do with the line: mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names.

I am unsure how to fix it or what it should be.

Plugin Contributions

Just a quick one for anyone following this post.

Chuckl has got it working. If you have a gmail account you should be able to forward your e-mails through your account.

Chuckl has been busy setting all this up and I believe he is gonna post a how to at some point.

The guy is a genius and I take my hat off to him and offer him all my thanks.

Well done Chuckl.

Plugin Contributions

For anyone interested in this, I've attached some config files and notes on the setup.

Rgds,

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast