Plugin Contributions

Default Can't even get the installer to run - IISPassword 500 error

I am trying to get this Zen Cart installed. I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, but this is my first time venturing into the in the world of server hosting, I am going to admit that I am in somewhat unfamiliar territory. Lets start at the beginning...

I downloaded the latest Zen Cart and proceeded to follow the instructions located here. I FTPed it to my server as per the instructions and followed them to the letter (4 times already) and found everything to be quite simple. Then came the time to finally launch the installation. So I type the web address to initialize the installer and I get this page.

I cannot get beyond that page. I have been at this all day, 10 hours now of forum searching, googling, test, retesting, reretesting, and back to testing.

I have uploaded all the file formats in their proper server formats. ASCII for php, texts, sql, html and binary for the rest. As far as I know everything is in its proper directory but if you'd like, I can supply screenshots of any requested info to help solve this issue. By all rights, it should work.

It's getting to the point where I am second guessing myself on the instructions and am having a hard time understanding them at all, if that makes sense. I need a fresh mind to give me a hand here. Normally I'd pound away at this and solve it, but now I am completely at the end of all of my ropes.

I use LFChosting.

www.null-clothing.com/nullstore

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't even get the installer to run - IISPassword 500 error

The edit button has gone AWOL on me, I wouldn't ask this if it wasn't important, I need some clarification on the instructions.....

What folder do I upload into? Each web host has his/her own preference in naming folders for use in running a website.
    You can have many files that don't even get shown to the public. The ones that are available for access via a browser are usually in a folder called something like:
    -

/home/YOURNAME/public_html
    or
    - /var/www/YOURNAME/httpdocs
    or
    - /usr/accounts/a/b/YOURNAME/httpd
    etc, etc, etc

If it's unclear where the publicly-accessible files are to be uploaded, talk to your webhost for assistance.

I believe that the directory examples mentioned above are fill-in-the-blank. So if I named the install folder "catalog", should the directory that I FTP the Zen Cart to for installation be exactly shown as...

/home/catalog/public_html/catalog

or other? Is "home" a fill-in-the-blank, too? I'm going to be honest here, I know I'm missing something obvious.
    Last edited by -Havoc-; 18 Apr 2007 at 05:24 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Is this IIS hosted or yours? Is it using Apache? or just IIS?

If hosted there will be a convention/path to the root of your web space so the these are not "fill-in-the-blank" item they are predefined
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Is this IIS hosted or yours? Is it using Apache? or just IIS?

If hosted there will be a convention/path to the root of your web space so the these are not "fill-in-the-blank" item they are predefined

I think this may answer your question, bottom of the page under "how is this possible?".

http://www.lfchosting.com/hosting.shtml

When you say "predefined", you mean predefined as in by the Zen Cart setup guide or predefined by my host? If it's the latter, I'll probably have to e-mail them.

Plugin Contributions

Well I've solved it. The installer runs.

This error is normally caused by a stray directive in an htaccess file.

Please check the directory that you are having problems with to see if there is an htaccess file there, if it is remove it and try to access the directory again.

If you have secure directories installed, please uninstall them and then manually delete any htacces or htpasswd files within this directory. After you have completed this, install secure folders again.

http://forums.yetihost.com/showthread.php?t=585

My WS_FTP LE program could not see the .htaccess file, but when I went through the directories through my webhost's file manager, I saw it sitting there, clear as day. A typical solution to this would be to remove all .htaccess files in the installation, but I'll leave that for when I actually have to. This could've been solved much sooner.

Plugin Contributions

When you say "predefined", you mean predefined as in by the Zen Cart setup guide or predefined by my host? If it's the latter, I'll probably have to e-mail them.
    By the way the host has this setup - and looking at what you provided:

I know that they hawk this as a "cool" setup, but do not take this on a long term basis as It appears to be sketchy...I do not favor a straight WIN setup but they work - best is a standard LAMP(linus/apache.mysql/php) install - this hybyrd with redirect could be glitchy & slow(or not).
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    By the way the host has this setup - and looking at what you provided:

I know that they hawk this as a "cool" setup, but do not take this on a long term basis as It appears to be sketchy...I do not favor a straight WIN setup but they work - best is a standard LAMP(linus/apache.mysql/php) install - this hybyrd with redirect could be glitchy & slow(or not).
    In spite of what little I know of servers, I do commonly hear of the "lamp" setup.