Plugin Contributions

red flag Minimum Quantity or Price

I would like to place a minimum quantity required for checkout for a sale I'm having. I have poured over the posts here and couldn't find anything. I have also looked through the new manual and didn't find anything there either.

Is there a way to set a certain price requirement on the cart so if the customer doesn't reach that price they can't check out? If so, how? And, how would the customer know they haven't reached the required amount.

Also, is there a way to set a minimum number of products on the cart for a specific sale that will only affect the products that are on sale?

One last question... Is it possible to combine the two above for the whole store, whether or not there's a sale?

Examples:

Customer has to place 7 items in cart before they can check out

AND/OR

Customer has to reach a certain amount in the cart before they can check out

These scenarios would be used in a sale.

I know I can set limits using coupons, but is there a way to set them without using the coupon feature?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Minimum Quantity or Price

The minimum value can be enforced by setting a low order fee (Modules > Order Total > Low Order Fee). Post a notice somewhere prominent that you require a certain minimum, and put a big enough low order fee that nobody sane would try to check out with less.

The shopping cart page would be one good place to post the notice.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    The minimum value can be enforced by setting a low order fee (Modules > Order Total > Low Order Fee). Post a notice somewhere prominent that you require a certain minimum, and put a big enough low order fee that nobody sane would try to check out with less.

The shopping cart page would be one good place to post the notice.
    Thank you for your quick response. This isn't quite what I had in mind. I don't want to add any amount to an order. I would prefer the customer add enough products to reach a minimum amount, rather than penalize them with a fee. The type of business I run wouldn't be around long if this low order fee was implemented. I don't want to alienate my customers, nor do I want to scare any potential customers off.

Sometimes my sales will produce products below $2, and when you add up the fees, it hardly seems worth it to have the sale. The problem is, many times, customers will buy one product for a very low amount, and then come back and place a 2nd order for another low amount. I'm trying to minimize the amount of paypal fees incurred by putting a minimum checkout amount on the cart.

Ideally, for the upcoming sale I'm having, I want to have a certain number of products required in the cart before they can check out. OR I would like them to reach a certain amount before checkout.

Plugin Contributions

I guess you have downloadable products with no shipping fees, thus no inherent customer perception of consolidating orders and no way to recover per-order Paypal fees.
    If what really matters is that you not lose money on small orders, you could say on the shopping cart page something like "Our prices are so low that very small orders cost us too much to process; therefore, we require a minimum order total of $x.00."
    Then apply a low order fee that a bit more than makes up for the extra pp fees. Customers have been notified in a way they should be able to sympathize with, and you won't be out of pocket in any case. Most customers will probably not try to check out with less than your clearly stated minimum, and those who do may well be willing to pay for it.

There have been discussions of both quantity minimum and order total minimum here recently. With some coding in order total files, it is possible to test for total amount or quantity and send the customer back if necessary. I can't tell you more about the mechanics of that.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    I guess you have downloadable products with no shipping fees, thus no inherent customer perception of consolidating orders and no way to recover per-order Paypal fees.
    If what really matters is that you not lose money on small orders, you could say on the shopping cart page something like "Our prices are so low that very small orders cost us too much to process; therefore, we require a minimum order total of $x.00."
    Then apply a low order fee that a bit more than makes up for the extra pp fees. Customers have been notified in a way they should be able to sympathize with, and you won't be out of pocket in any case. Most customers will probably not try to check out with less than your clearly stated minimum, and those who do may well be willing to pay for it.

There have been discussions of both quantity minimum and order total minimum here recently. With some coding in order total files, it is possible to test for total amount or quantity and send the customer back if necessary. I can't tell you more about the mechanics of that.
    Thanks again Glenn. :) I appreciate your comments. Since I have a limited amount of time before this sale, perhaps the best way for me to implement it is to use the coupon feature of the cart. This will ensure they have a minimum amount before the coupon is good. This has worked well in the past, but I was hoping for a more permanent solution for those products that are not on sale.

Plugin Contributions

You might want to have a look at the Minimum Order Amount mod.

I have it installed on a 1.3.7 cart and it works fine. I believe he also has an earlier version of it for older carts.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    You might want to have a look at the Minimum Order Amount mod.

I have it installed on a 1.3.7 cart and it works fine. I believe he also has an earlier version of it for older carts.

Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Plugin Contributions

I'm trying to add this mod to my wholesale store, i must be doing it incorrectly, where do i upload the files to on the server and in SQL Query Executor i dont seem to be running the right command. pls help. many thanks.