View Poll Results: Do you use the Google Analytics Goals ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

9 28.13%
  • Rarely

8 25.00%
  • Often (please tell us what you use it for)

15 46.88%

Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Do you use the Google Analytics Goals ?

I use the Ecommerce tracking which is quite efficient, but I don't really see what to do with the "Google Analytics Goals".

And if you do, what do you use them for ?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Do you use the Google Analytics Goals ?

You use Google Analytics "Goal Tracking" to find out more about the breakdown of "where" the 'actions' are taking place on your site (sales, contact us feedbacks, sales funnel abandonment, etc..) .

It is great for determining WHERE in the visitors "path" they are abandoning the process (leaving your site). I use Google Analytics Goal Tracking on a number of Zen Cart sites to let me know where the "problem points are" and to help me better determine the "true conversion rate" of a particular action (again, a sale, a contact us submission, etc..)

Combine it with a "Defined Funnel" and you should be able to gain a ton of information on what causes your visitors to "act" (buy) and what causes them to abandon (leave).

I like to use Goal tracking with a 5 step "funnel process" (starting with an individual product page, and then flowing through the entire checkout process to a final sale.) This type of tracking is invaluable, and can be used to find out the "real problem points" on a site.

Goal Tracking combined with Funnel / Path Analysis (both provided in Google Analytics) should help you answer these questions (and more):

1) What do your customers when they get to your site.

2) Where they end up "leaving" (VERY IMPORTANT here as it can tell you the exact pages you need to start "working on improving" if you are looking to increase conversion rates). Afterall, if you don't know WHERE your customers are having problems, how in the world are you going to be able to "fix it"? The answer is ... you can't ... without proper tracking.

3) The breakdown of "where actions" really occur on your site (an "action" can be edefined as anything that you want to "get the customer to do". It can be to "contact you", "buy your product", download some information, etc...)

I would also recommend if you are using Google Analytics that you have all of the following implemented:
    a) Google Analytics
    b) e-commerce tracking
    c) Goal Tracking
    d) Proper "sales funnels" setup in Google Analytics

The information you will be fed from that alone is a GREAT start to moving your conversion up (more sales).

The LOWEST conversion rate I have on ANY of my client's "Zen Cart driven" sites is a whopping 3- 4% (and I'm talking SALES conversion). The highest is a astronomical 11%! (Again, SALES conversion).

So, looking at that information, that means that on the "low side" 3-4% of ALL VISITORS that come to the one site turn into a SALE. On the high end, with another Zen site, 11% of ALL TRAFFIC that comes to that site converts to a sale.

:)

Now THAT is what a good site, and good tracking (even using the above mentioned Google Analytic Options), and "Qualified Traffic" (attracting those visitors to your site that are going to "buy") can do for Zen.

Make sense why the "whole shebang" is important with Google Tracking (including Goal Tracking)?
    Eric
    20 Ways to Increase Sales Using Zen Cart
    Zen Cart contribs: Simple Google Analytics, Export Shipping Information

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that, I now understand how it it works.

I set up two goals:

1) Make an Order

http://mysite/shopping_cart.html Shopping Cart
    http://mysite/checkout_shipping.html Checkout Shipping
    http://mysite/checkout_payment.html Checkout Payment
    http://mysite/checkout_confirmation.html Checkout Confirmation
    http://mysite/checkout_success.html Make an Order

2) Account Created

http://mysite/login.html Login Page
    http://mysite/create_account_success.html Account Created

I will see how it goes... Do you think the I should put the steps of "Account Created" in "Make an order" ? (As customers obviously have to create an account first before making an order)

Is the step "http://mysite/shopping_cart.html" a mistake ? ( someone can go to the cart without ordering, someone can order without going to the cart....)

Thanks again for your explainations !

Plugin Contributions

A "Goal" is a single event ... not multiple events (as you have here). The funnel path would be multiple steps.

Keep in mind that a "Goal" is the end result you desire from your visitors. The Funnel Path is "how you want them to get there" (the 'desired path'). If they follow your path, and you have it setup correctly, the end Goal should have a higher conversion rate (result in more sales).

If they follow your intended path and the desired Goal is not reached, then you have to look at your funnel to see where the problem is (that cases them to abandon). Start with the "first spot" that is causing problems. Then work forward form there (becuase if you think about it, it would be a waste of time to work on the "3rd page in the funnel" if the users are not getting past the second page :) ). You task should be "getting them past the second page in the funnel" and then tackle getting them through the third etc...

You are on the right track with the funnel process you have setup. It is pretty close to what I use on my sites (minus the account creation which is actually a step in the checkout process). I will be looking at my defined funnels etc... here and will be recording a video tutorial on my site to show anyone interested how it should be setup to get the best results.

You are real close. DId you set any "Goals" (you can only have a maximum of 4), and with most zen installs, the main ones would be Sales Completion, and Contact Us.
    Eric

Plugin Contributions

How do you set this up in Google Analytics to work with Zen? I've tried a couple times, but I was obviously doing it wrong because it would always show 0% conversion and 0% goals even though I was getting sales.

Plugin Contributions

I'll be posting a video tutorial on my blog in the coming day or so about how to set it all up.

I assume you are talking about Google CONVERSION tracking (which is different from just plain "Google Analytics"; which can be installed with the mod available for zen.

Google analytics alone will not get you "conversion" data. You need conversion tracking for that.

Again, I'll be going over all of this in a video tutorial posted to my blog in the coming day. You can get to that blog by clicking on the "20 Ways ..." link in my signature.
    Eric