Plugin Contributions

Default Different Prices for Different Countries?

Hi

I've had a look through but can't find an answer, so wondered if anyone knew a way to do this, or even if it is possible.

Because everything I sell is mailed internationally, and some items weigh a good few KG, I always price with one price - post inclusive

So - there is no shipping cost added at checkout.

This means people don't get a shock and know the score as they go along. I don't want to change this

However it costs me more to mail to some places and less to others. Right now I have a default price that covers shipping to where most of my customers are

But what I'd like to do is be able to have the product its self vary in price - depending on where the customer is located or where they want it shipped to

I apreciate that I could do this with zones if I had the postage price separate and added on at the cart stage. But I don't (and won't) do that as mentioned above

So - is there a way to actually price the product by zone in some way? I only need 2 or 3 max

Thanks if anyone has any clue about this at all :-)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Different Prices for Different Countries?

Not really. You wont know where the customer lives until they enter their address. And if you detect this automatically, they can use a proxy to go to your website and order a product for a cheaper price and send it to a different country. Or ask a friend somewhere else, if its all worth it. Well this may be prevented as well (send to a different country than where you seem to order from) but it doesnt make it idiot proof. There will be always problem for real customers when they have an ip address that cannot be assigned to a country or the wrong country.

And when you have transparent and fair shipping cost, i think genuine customers can understand that they have to pay for shipping. Just dont make you shipping cost structure to diffucult for customers. Thats all I can recommend.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Different Prices for Different Countries?

Thanks for that. I thought as much, but just wanted to check.

I'll probably do something slightly different in the new year and have one site for US/Canada and one site for UK/Rest of World - thus allowing differential pricing

There's no issue with the fairness etc of the shipping costs - it's purely that for many items the shipping cost is more than the item cost

So if I don't include it in the price they see listed against the product, it's one big shock at the checkout stage

I found that I lost a lot of potential customers who put items in their cart and then wandered off when I used to display prices in that way. Now - it saves everyone from wasting their time. They know the score upfront and don't have to get all the way to the end to find the total :-)

I'd been thinking of splitting the site anyway as I have more than one domain. So - guess that's probably the easiest solution. I'll wait till the Christmas rush is over though.

Thanks.