Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Free shipping on single item?

I have two products I would like to offer with free shipping. Any time I try to turn on the "always free shipping" option and free shipping module, it ends up making the entire order with free shipping (I create an order in my store then calculate shipping - my store is not public yet). Is there anyway I can make free shipping on a SINGLE product? Then if they order additional items, how does the free shipping on that item work - would the weigth of that item not be counted in final shipping weight/cost?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free shipping on single item?

What version of Zen Cart?

What kind of Products are these?

Have you an URL where we can see these 2 products?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Current version of zencart, the products are two books. Currently, they are the most "expensive" item so I could for the moment set free shipping over a certain $ amount (well, not if people buy multiple products), however in the coming months I will be adding products that cost more, but I won't want to add free shipping to that item.

Is it possible to do free shipping on a single item, then just have the wieght of the item subtracted from the final total (or I coudl set the weight at 0 manually myself considering it'll be free shipping anyway) so people aren't paying to ship that weight?

I just don't know how this could work. Maybe you do? :-)

Plugin Contributions

Always Free Shipping means ... This is an Always Free Shipping Product ...

If you add an Always Free Shipping Product to a non-always free shipping product there Always Free Shipping product still is Always Free Shipping ...

Always Free Shipping counts as 0lbs regardless of the products_weight ...

Always Free Shipping counts as 0 items when shipping is based on count ...

Always Free Shipping counts as $0.00 towards the price when shipping is based on price ...

I believe all of the bases are covered already for you in Zen Cart, unless you are using a Shipping module that does not follow the rules ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you!

Could you help me determine how I should be setting the always free shipping up?

I selected the "always free shipping" option in my product page, then I get this message: "Free Shipping Module is required when all products in the order are Always Free Shipping Products"

First my confusion - when it refers to "in the order' does it mean in the order of the product (which I don't know what it's importance is anyway, but I see the option to give it a # option at the bottom of it's listing), or the customers order they are placing?

Then, Which shipping module is this? free shipping options and/or FREE SHIPPING! in my shipping module?

I tried to activiate the "free shipping options" but none of the options apply to my order (weight, # of items, $ of order, etc) so it won't activate. I didn't want to select the FREE SHIPPING! option before talking to someone and making sure the option applies ONLY to the "alawys free shipping" products I choose... is this so? I didn't know if it would make every item free shipping at that point.

Plugin Contributions

Go to the Modules ... Shipping ...

Click on Free Shipping freeshipper ...

Click on Install ...

Now, when the order *only* contains an Always Free Shipping Product then the Free Shipping freeshipper shipping module will show as the only option ...

When the order has both Always Free Shipping and regular Products mixed, the Free Shipping freeshipper will *not* show, but the other shipping modules will show ... the Always Free Shipping will not be included in the Shipping cost for weight or item count or price on all of the core Shipping modules that come with Zen Cart and many of the custom ones ...

NOTE: custom shipping modules can usually be adapted to work properly with Always Free Shipping and Virtual Products etc., if they do not already ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I find this to not be true for me. If I have a free shipping item A, and a non free shipping item B, and, I add both to the cart. Both weigh 5 pounds. The shipping estimator shows 5 pounds, which matches what you said. However, the rate is based on 10 pounds, which does not match what you say.

This is true for at least Fedex, built in UPS, and built in USPS. What could be the reason? 1.3.7 of course. A bug?
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I amend my statement slightly. The weight does not affect the shipping price, indeed, but the free shipping items DO affect the shipping price. Isn't that wrong? The reason is the shipment value, it raises the insurance. I don't think it should as if the non free shipping items were not on the order, then it WOULD be free, insurance would not count. But it does count if there are any free shipping items on the order. When the item cost thousands of dollars, this makes quite the difference.

Should this be considered a bug? I would think so, as it is no longer "free".
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

I did not write the Insurance module nor is that part of Zen Cart ...

Perhaps you can check with the Author of it and see what to do about the changed rate?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

No, the built in UPS module, as an example, uses the passed in cart total. Well the cart total includes the free shipping items, and, therefore, the UPS quote from the STOCK Zen Cart module is inflated. So, not speaking about any add-on.

This is a Zen Cart bug.
    Steve Fatula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast