Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default please help - my template shows up just text

I wanted to modify a few simple things (like changing the "congrats you've installed correctly", page title and things like that. I was advised to create a new template, which I did. I created my custom template files everywhere a "classic" file was present and any changes I made to the pages wihin the parent directory I copied to my custom folder.

I also modified the template info file and uploaded it and all of the other changes to my server via filezilla, turned it on in admin and when I view it there is no formatting or background at all.

I can change it back to the traditional green template with no problem, and i'd have no problem using it but I still cannot change the messages and text I wanted to in the first place. I have created my custom files in the header, english, etc. files that i needed to in the correct directories but the changes will not override - UNLESS I have my template turned on. Then all of the changes occur, but I have no formatting.

I have searched the forums and the FAQ. Once, I changed my .htaccess file temporarily and voila - my template showed up (though not with the coloring I'd like but I'm assuming I'd need to tweak that considering I hadn't touched my stylesheet). I changed the file name back to normal and since then have not been able to get my template pulled up (even after changing the .htaccess filename again). I contacted my webhost who said they dont' offer support on htaccess files and to search google... So I feel like i'm at a loss.

permissions look like they're correct. I put the correct href tag in my stylesheet to direct it to the template files. I copied ALL of the CSS files into my custom/css folder - do I need an additional copy of my stylesheet in my templates/custom/ folder, or just keep the stylesheet in the css folder? A few directions I've read made it seem that i need the stylesheet in my templates/custom folder AND in the templates/custom/css file - currently I only have it in the css file.

Maybe because i've done *nothing* to my template in terms of colors or whatnot, maybe my template is showing up as it should, without any formatting? But then what would explain the one time it did have formatting and color?

Should I just find a template I like in the downloads section and use it, considering I can use templates just not my own? Will my changes carry over onto the new template (the files I've modified and put into my custom folders).

I'm fine using the template that came with zencart... I just need my modifications to carry through and I have *no* idea what i'm doing wrong with that. I've checked and rechecked my instructions as far as modifying those files, saving them in my custom direrectories and uploading.

My site is at www.motherhoodnaturally.com/store if anyone wants to take a gander and help me figure this out? I don't necessarily need a new template, just for my minor changes to show up!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: please help - my template shows up just text

It's really hard to guess what happened, seeing that you stated that the "Classic" template works and all permissions are fine. There's obviously some configuration problem as your default template is coming into play as of now.

For starters.. can you paste the content of your custom/override template_info.php?

Are you sure all files got uploaded into the clone template folder? Sometimes, FTPs have a habit of dropping files into the cyber wasteland instead of their proper directory.

Plugin Contributions

Gotta work on those monster images ...

Do you have a template and overrides created?

Right now it looks like you have one loaded but it is missing so you see the template_default ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Did you try going into the TOOLS -> Layout Boxes Controller and hit the "RESET" button on the bottom? AFTER you've selected your template?

Good luck,
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Ok well I changed my custom folder names to the name of my template... When I uploaded, I had formatting on my site. Does this really make a difference? i thought the folders could be named whatever we wanted and not what our template was?

Anyway... So I have formatting and color to a point, but I don't have my minor changes - my logo, welcome message, title, etc. All of these changes are made in teh php file and they are uploaded into my custom folder, but the changes still won't show up. what's up with that?

Plugin Contributions

When you changed the custom templates and overrides folder names ... did you also change:
    /includes/templates/your_template_dir/template_info.php

And did you go the to Tools ... Template Selection ... and make sure the right template is selected?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stormysar View Post
    Ok well I changed my custom folder names to the name of my template... When I uploaded, I had formatting on my site. Does this really make a difference? i thought the folders could be named whatever we wanted and not what our template was?

Anyway... So I have formatting and color to a point, but I don't have my minor changes - my logo, welcome message, title, etc. All of these changes are made in teh php file and they are uploaded into my custom folder, but the changes still won't show up. what's up with that?
    Also try refreshing the page a couple times. Sometimes the old page is in the cache and it takes like 3 refreshes for me to get the new upload to show.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

I updated the template making sure it was the right one, then reset the boxes and am back to square one with no formatting.

Here is my template_info.php info (silly question - does the filename stay the same or do I change the name of template_info.php to my_template_name.php?) And whats a screenshot?

<?php
    /**
    * Template Information File
    * @package templateSystem
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2005 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: template_info.php 2306 2005-11-05 21:34:28Z wilt $
    */
    $template_name = 'MNP';
    $template_version = 'Version 1.0';
    $template_author = 'Motherhood Naturally Publications (c) 2007';
    $template_description = 'This template set is designed to be easily modified using only the style sheet to change colors, fonts, and the store logo. Three images are required; logo.jpg, header_bg.jpg, and tile_back.jpg.';
    $template_screenshot = 'scr_template_default.jpg';
    ?>

Plugin Contributions

That file info looks perfect. Yes, the actual file name stays the same(template_info.php) as ZC has to read the file. The 'screen shot' is a image file that shows a screen capture of your template. It's not necessary, but just a nifty thing you can or not add.

So, the file is okay. That rules out one thing. I'm thinking a possible directory problem.

Where you got that "template_info.php" file from inside the template folder.. do you see at least two subfolders named "css" and "images" ? How many files can you see inside the "css" folder and what are their names?

Also, when you look in your File Manager or FTP.. in yourstore/includes/templates.. can you see the three template folders, like "classic" "template_default" and "yourown" No loose files anywhere, just folders themselves?

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, I think it's a directory problem..

"The requested URL Not Found: /store/includes/templates/PERSONAL/css/stylesheet.cssincludes/templates/MNP/css/stylesheet.css"

Something is really strange there.. is there a PERSONAL and MNP templates?
    Are the template_info.php different for each one?

Okay, I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the entire custom template folder is nested in another folder.
    Last edited by Sketchy; 19 May 2007 at 03:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast