Plugin Contributions

Default All I want to use is the shopping cart and 'add to cart' buttons...?

Hey. I have just recently set up a new website for a client and now that I am finished with it he is just getting around to telling me that he wants his own shopping cart software installed rather than using PayPal's. The trouble is, I already have the product pages, and I don't want to have to completely rewrite the template for zencart just to fit my pages. Is there any way that I can just add custom 'add to cart' buttons on the pages I already made and place a shopping cart on another page? I really don't want to be spending another 50 hours customizing this.

Thanks for your help! I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. i'm a helpless new guy

edit. i don't want to use categories or dynamically upload products and info into the page. it is a very simple thing, he only has three different products, so it seems useless to have all that extra stuff in there, since it won't change...
    Last edited by odecom5; 27 May 2007 at 05:30 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: All I want to use is the shopping cart and 'add to cart' buttons...?

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this. Zen Cart isn't a back-end solution. You'll find that maintenance will be easier if you convert the site to Zen Cart.

I webmaster the site in my sig for the owner. I took the site from an html site without a cart (done by someone else), to an html site with PayPal buttons, to Zen Cart. I can add new products in minutes.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: All I want to use is the shopping cart and 'add to cart' buttons...?

hmm, that's kind of sad I really honestly don't need all of this stuff. it is literally three products. they don't need categories, and they'll honestly never change. are there any recommendations you can give me?

Plugin Contributions

I really honestly don't need all of this stuff. it is literally three products. they don't need categories, and they'll honestly never change. are there any recommendations you can give me?
    I do not think that you have fully thought this through - -

There are many, many items that require attending to to offer a secure buying environment....

You need code to talk to and process Credit Cards - and code to enable a SSL layer for security/buyer confidence.

Customer order notification - order tracking and status update

Possibly currency conversion

etc., etc.

All these things are part of Zen Cart - for one product or 1,000's of products -

Don't short change your client in providing a less than complete solution
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    I do not think that you have fully thought this through - -

There are many, many items that require attending to to offer a secure buying environment....

You need code to talk to and process Credit Cards - and code to enable a SSL layer for security/buyer confidence.

Customer order notification - order tracking and status update

Possibly currency conversion

etc., etc.

All these things are part of Zen Cart - for one product or 1,000's of products -

Don't short change your client in providing a less than complete solution
    well he wants to use paypal payments pro which includes the ssl, etc. this is more than a solution that he wants. all he wants is a shopping cart and some buy now buttons embedded into his website. i'm not short-changing anyone. this is literally all he wanted.

Plugin Contributions

If thats what he wants then give it to him,
    you really have 2 choices here,
    setup the ZC site for his 3 products and do the quick cosmetics, or use the paypal buy it now buttons

with only having 3 products the setup ZC is the best option
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    If thats what he wants then give it to him,
    you really have 2 choices here,
    setup the ZC site for his 3 products and do the quick cosmetics, or use the paypal buy it now buttons

with only having 3 products the setup ZC is the best option
    thanks. thats not really what i was hoping to hear though

customizing the store to match the site i already made will probably take over 50 hours, and i'm already not getting paid very much money for this.