Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

email error Email sent to archive manager-never delivered

Good day to all!

Hope someone can help. I have gone through all the forums and initiated some of the fixes discussed but still no mail leaves the server.

I checked neither my domain or the servers has been blacklisted.

mail path user/sbin/sendmail t

I think I have used all the configuration possible in the email settings.

I also have set up PHPBB2 and email from that service comes through fine.

all the right things are checked including from a known domain
    Version looks to be 1.3??

Help!!! I need to get this up and running.. I can do the cart temps etc. just fine but after three days of playing with this email.. ::sigh::

Thanks in advance...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Email sent to archive manager-never delivered

If I understood your post subject correctly, you're saying that an email that is in the email archive has never been received.
    The archiving is done only after the mail is sent, so if no errors were generated by the sending, the problem lies 'elsewhere'. The most likely answer is that it is in a spam or junkmail folder or simply thrown away.
    Firstly get your host to check mail logs for that time period, to see if it was actually sent.
    Reasons for 'missing mail' are so broad that it is a book length reply, but include, in no particular order, Does your domain have an SPF record, Reverse DNS, correctly set up DNS, a postmaster mailbox? Do the 'sending' email addresses exist? Does the webserver hosting your store send mail as 'nobody'. Are you trying to send to one of the web based 'free' mail services? Is your mail showing as being sent from 'localhost'?
    A useful technique is to set up an email address or alias on the site domain, and use that for your first tests.
    i.e. If your Zen Cart store is at www.mydomain.com, create am email address of [email protected], and set it to forward any mail to your normal email address.
    This will allow you to test the communication with your hosts mail server. And for the existing mails, check any spam folders, junk folders etc. If it was sent to Hotmail don't bother, as recent reports seem to suggest that they are simply throwing away any mail they don't like, rather than bouncing it.

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.. so far this is what I have done since last night.. and I have tried all your suggestions as well..

First off... I deleted the server configured cart and manually did a full install to a newer version of Zen.

Tried every configuration possible in the zen cart /config/e-mail TM
    Set to domain needed yes
    Set up PHPbb2 and can send and receive emails just fine through this program.

No emails are ever received so I have no clue what the headers contain. Though I do know I receive other emails through my domain and my reg. mail that have from: 'nobody'

I did set up several different email addies that use different domains. I can send and receive mail to them all, just not from the zen cart on the server.
    I have postmaster and abuse mailboxes set up, and I always have a forwarded mail system in place.. also I do not use any of the 'free mail'
    Used a lookup service for the emails I am using in the cart and all check out.

I do not use a junk mail box.. and know to look through all folders for stray mail.

DNS is properly set and I checked the dns zone.. everything is ok.

Checked domain with DNS Report all is well....

The server nor the domain have been blacklisted

All emails are still showing up in the archive manager. Does that not mean that the mail is going through the zen cart but not being processed or delivered by the server???

BTW the domain I am trying to install on in is http://www.sweetandlavish.com

So what do I try next???
    Thanks..

Plugin Contributions

So what do I try next???

Several deep breaths and count to three slowly....

First question would be - what is the phpbb mail transport set to? (quick disclaimer, don't know the package at all)
    Set to that, or certainly try PHP as the transport and sendmail -f.
    You are correct however, in that if the email is archived, the Zencart email routines think they have successfully sent the email. That is what I meant when I said the archive routine is invoked 'after' the send routine.
    I would also strongly suggest asking your hosting service to check their mail logs, giving them the times of a couple of these errant emails, to see what their mail server says about them.
    'sendmail -t' is a dreadful cobbled together non standard 'standard' that I avoid like the plague if at all possible, and is probably the cause of your problems, and it is quite possible that their server is not recognising your emails as valid mail.

Plugin Contributions

I really want to thank you for taking the time to help me Chuckl. I really have been frustrated over this. So..

I counted to ten.... cause counting to three just didn't seem long enough.. ;-)

I put a ticket in for this email problem tonight to the server ( I have been dreading this as I tend to always get... "Its not our fault" and then ignored)

Sent them my email config settings and asked them to double check the settings for me.. as well as a request for the mail logs for the archived emails.

Thanks again and I hope to have something constructive to work on by the morning. I will let you know!

Catherine

Plugin Contributions

'I tend to always get... "Its not our fault" and then ignored'

Thats why I suggested a very specific query -
    'Could you please check your mail server logs for mail from ......... at ...... and report any error messages to me. If there are no errors, where has my mail gone? If there are error messages, please tell me what to do to fix them'

Plugin Contributions

'Thats why I suggested a very specific query -'

I don't think my server likes specific questions asked... I used your suggested query pretty much word for word... and have yet to get a reply.

One thing I did this morning after emailing the server again... Was to go into the zen email_archive and try and resend the mail... I got this error. (don't know if it will help or not)

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sweet/public_html/zcart/includes/functions/functions_email.php on line 380 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sweet/public_html/zcart/includes/functions/functions_email.php:380) in /home/sweet/public_html/zcart/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 34

Thanks again for your help... Any other suggestions on how to get this up and going on my end?...

Plugin Contributions

Don't think the archive error is too relevant, I seem to remember errors every time I've tried a resend with it.

Best suggestion I can give at present is to check your PHPbb installation and see what it is using for it's mail transport. e.g. If it is set to PHP, switch to that.

Plugin Contributions

Ok... I pissed the server off a bit, though I did it nicely.. ;-) Support has sent me the following message..

[FONT=Verdana]""Catherine,

I have forwarded this to our System Admins to look into your issue.""

Perhaps it means that they realize there is an issue??? There is always that hope.

I was wrong about the email going through through bb2. The default was set to '[/FONT]Users send email to each other via this board= no' I then set it to 'yes' to send from the server... ::sigh:: emails again lost in space..
    Also that is the only choice as the program config does not allow you to set mail TM from the panel.. so no idea how it is configured. I get messages when it is set at 'no' From the headers on 'off' the PHP program sends it through a tucow server.

Sad part is I gave myself a month to get this done.. and cannot get past the email issue. I have a show this weekend... fliers and cards are printed..

Plugin Contributions

If the support trolls have sent it on to the orcs, thats usually a good sign.
    Means we've managed to defeat the pre-printed response list, and means you'll almost certainly get a meaningful response. Hopefully it'll also mean that your mail starts working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast