Plugin Contributions

Default Unable to add Categories or edit them at Top Level

Hi
    I have moved a website to a new server and although all seems to be running correctly we cant add, delete, edit any Categories at the Top level (level zero), Apart from that the shop appears fully functional and can take payments etc.

One can Click on New Category or Delete etc and complete the forms but no changes occur, there are no errors displayed, ... the change just doesnt happen!?! All works fine when editing sub-categories or products.

This still works on the initial Host and a copy on my Development localhost but not on the new host.

The configs from Admin:

New Host:
    PHP Version: 4.3.8 (Zend: 1.3.0)
    Database: MySQL 4.0.15

Development Host (localhost):
    PHP Version: 5.2.1 (Zend: 2.2.0)
    Database: MySQL 5.0.33

Initial Host:
    PHP Version: 4.4.4 (Zend: 1.3.0)
    MySQL 5.0.27-standard

I have found a temporary work around where I can create a New Category at a Sub-Level and then Move it to the Top, but once it is there, it cannot be edited, deleted etc. However categories/products can be added to it.

There were Categories at the top level when it was moved so there are no products at the top level to cause any issues.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Unable to add Categories or edit them at Top Level

Not sure I have a solution at this point, but I do have a couple questions:

- what version of Zen Cart?
    - what addons/contributions are installed?

When odd things like this happen, I start with checking file-integrity. Have you double-checked that all your .php files were completely and successfully uploaded? ie: no timeouts leaving incomplete files. This article talks about the concept and one way to verify things: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hello again!

Its really got me scratching my head! But thanks, I will look into it your suggestions.

I have compared (with beyond compare) my localhost with remote instalation and noting untoward appears to be there although I will check my "check spaces" settings in the compare.

running Version 1.3.7

There are several addons ... but these all seem to be working ok as the install works on my test server and on another server we used for initial data loading.

I think I will backup complete system and re-install on local server to re-test instalation, but I think this may be a backup, wipe and reinstall the remote server as well!

Thanks again
    Chris

Plugin Contributions

Ok... I have ...

1. did file compare from My Master copy of code to trouble server and all equivelent

2. downloaded site & db data from troubled linux server and installed in new folder on my Windows test server ...and it works fine

3. renamed existing shop dir on troubled server and reinstalled my master code from my test server to new shop dir (didnt change db data) ... and it failed exactly the same

4. uploaded 'possibly duff' site & data to an alternate linux server ... and it works fine ????

So I am hoping I can now assume that the code is OK and possibly the data is OK

But it is possibly either:
    - a permissions problem
    - a server config problem

Because I am using a copy of zen 1.3.7 that is Pre configured with various addons and then copying it to the production server, I thought I would do a 'clean install' using the ZC instalation routines ... the only reported point of concern is PHP API Mode = cgi

It is also doing the loop as reported in other posts where it gets to "Save System Settings" on the System Setup page and goes back to the begining again, the host is Telivo (another person also has/had the same instalation problem with a Telivo server I am contacting them to see if they have a solution).

Chris

Plugin Contributions

Moving site to new host and seems to have solved the problem.
    Chris

Plugin Contributions

i am having the same trouble, looks like to me it's related to the server running PHP in CGI mode. This is also related to the looping install after "save system settings" is pressed. Can anyone shed some light here?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by aknatn View Post
    i am having the same trouble, looks like to me it's related to the server running PHP in CGI mode. This is also related to the looping install after "save system settings" is pressed. Can anyone shed some light here?
    It might be related to your CGI setup. Maybe not.
    Seems to be grandfathered from the point of your initial installation:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...031#post401031

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

It appears that products where added before categories.

Before you re-install, try this...

Turn ALL products "off" by making their icon Red (vs. Green)

When all products are turned to red, the ability to add categories should suddenly become available.

Now since all the products where added into master category you may have to delete all of them and re-add into a new category MANUALLY. It's easier to copy all product details and cut/paste them to another file to temp save.

There is a way to move the products to the new categories (somewhat complicated) but if you have less than about 50 products, this method will probably be easier and quicker.

Hope this helps.

Dan vanTreeck

Plugin Contributions

Guys,

i'm also facing the same problem. But i found the solution. Please download the latest zencart version. find the categories.php in admin folder. Replace the old one. Take backup of the old copy before you replace. Now its working fine for me.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dipen10 View Post
    Guys,

i'm also facing the same problem. But i found the solution. Please download the latest zencart version. find the categories.php in admin folder. Replace the old one. Take backup of the old copy before you replace. Now its working fine for me.
    So, really what you should be saying is that the CORRECT solution is to upgrade TO the latest version of Zen Cart.

IT'S BAD ADVICE TO MIX-AND-MATCH FILES FROM DIFFERENT VERSIONS. There are often other dependencies which will be broken if you cherry-pick individual files alone and mix them up.