Plugin Contributions

Default .htaccess invalid filename HELP -- Yahoo hosting limitation

I have Yahoo hosting and they won't allow the filename ".htaccess" because it begins with a period (invalid character). Is there anything I can I do, besides switch hosting?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: .htaccess invalid filename HELP

Tell me more about your hosting account.

Did you choose windows hosting? If so, switch to linux. I may be wrong but I don't think .htaccess is used for windows hosting, and I think you'll have even more problems in the long run.

If you have linux hosting, then you need to send a support ticket to yahoo asking them how you're supposed to use .htaccess on your server. They may have a workaround, or they may be able to change some settings for you.

That said, may I ask why you choose Yahoo? Not that they are bad, I just wanted to know what they had to offer you that others don't.

JP

Plugin Contributions

I am with Yahoo Web hosting as well, and I'm having the same problem.

I have been with Yahoo for about three years now and never had a problem doing anything I wanted there before. I signed up with them because at the time they seemed to offer everything I needed at a competitive price, and I already had mail and other services set up there long-term. I have multiple sites under construction there and was hoping to use Zen Cart for several new storefronts.

I do not wish to switch hosts because I am comfortably dug-in at Yahoo. Are you telling us there is no workaround to this problem? How difficult is it to switch to Linux hosting at Yahoo? How possible is it to fix this issue without moving my entire operations elsewhere? And if I have to move, what new hosts would you suggest?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by brodybro1 View Post
    How difficult is it to switch to Linux hosting at Yahoo? How possible is it to fix this issue without moving my entire operations elsewhere?
    You'll have to ask their technical support about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by brodybro1 View Post
    And if I have to move, what new hosts would you suggest?
    There is a "hosting" link at the top of this page which references a number of Zen Cart certified hosting partners.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick reply. I have sent a query to Yahoo Tech Support and will let you know what they say.

I've checked out the handy hosting link at the top of the page; maybe there's another thread about personal preferences/recommendations for favorite hosts. Can't hurt to shop around anyway; sometimes getting too cozy in one place is a cue to research new options and move. I'll go check the other threads for that.

Plugin Contributions

Just heard from Yahoo Tech Support. Not good news. Here's the bulk of their reply:

"...the name .htaccess refers to the main configuration file for
    Apache, a popular open-source HTTP server. The .htaccess file can be
    used to create custom error pages and web page redirects, set up
    password protection, enable SSI, and more.

Yahoo! does not currently allow you to upload .htaccess files to your
    account and currently there is no workaround for it. For other
    customization options, we recommend the Custom Error Pages and
    password-protection features available in your Web Hosting Control
    Panel.

Thank you for your understanding in this regard."

I'm assuming this means I cannot use Zen Cart with my Yahoo accounts. Which is too bad because I did some research and it appears that I get far more disk space, bandwidth, statistical reports, and a lot of other stuff from Yahoo Web Hosting, than I can get at the featured Zen-certified sites within the same price range.

Any advice at this point would be very much appreciated. Please!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: .htaccess invalid filename HELP -- Yahoo hosting limitation

Thought about it some more - probably best to go ahead and move my accounts to a new host anyway. In the long run I will likely be happier, because I really want to use open-source applications, and I don't want to hit these compatibility walls repeatedly in the future. I have seen a few other threads here today that address this same issue, and the advice was to find a new host.

I reasoned that I can get a Zen-certified hosting package that will get me started Right Now, for less $$$ per month than what is available at Yahoo. It occurred to me that, even though I get more space at Yahoo, it's likely far more than I would ever use at this level anyway.

Thanks for the help, I can make a rational decision now.