Plugin Contributions

Default Disable Login at home page?

I do not want to collect info or let people login to create an account because I want them to pay using Paypal Express. I also want to do a test run and would not like to invest in a SSL cert until I am sure of the response.

My question would be:
    How do I remove the "Login" button on my homepage, or/and ensure people can just add items to my paypal cart without making an account?

Would appreciate it greatly if someone could point me in the right direction,

Thanks!
    Amy

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Disable Login at home page?

There is a mod in the downloads section that allows users to checkout without creating an account (it does it quietly for them behind the scenes). The login link can be taken out of your tpl_header.php file.

Whether you could build a viable business this way is a different matter. Most online stores that succeed do so by working their customers for repeat sales and building up a loyal client base, but you won't have the information necessary to do this.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

if your ONLY going to use paypal express,

then you can open the includes/templates/template_default/common/tpl_header.php and comment out

find
    Code:
    <?php if ($_SESSION['customer_id']) { ?>
        <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?></a></li>
        <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT; ?></a></li>
    <?php
          } else {
            if (STORE_STATUS == '0') {
    ?>
        <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGIN; ?></a></li>
    <?php } } ?>
    and comment out like this

/*
    <?php if ($_SESSION['customer_id']) { ?>
    <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?></a></li>
    <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT; ?></a></li>
    <?php
    } else {
    if (STORE_STATUS == '0') {
    ?>
    <li><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGIN; ?></a></li>
    <?php } } ?>
    */
    this will remove the login link,

and all items will be addded to a ZC cart and you will then pass this information when the paypal express button is pushed
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Merlinpa & Kuroi.

Kuroi, I think you're right about building a customer base. I am going to get the SSL cert and install it -- so that people will be able to log in.

But I want to process payment via Paypal only (as I do not want to set up a payment gateway with my own merchant account). Is Paypal Express the only way to do this, or do I have to add my own Paypal "Add to cart" button?

Sorry, but I seem to be confused about what happens when customers want to pay for my stuff after they want to checkout.

Amy

Plugin Contributions

The SSL cert isn't necessary for customers to login, but it certainly helps build confidence when you are asking them for personal information (even if it's paypal who will handle the really sensitive data).

I have to confess that I haven't set Paypal up on a site recently, but last time I did (prior to the changes that went into Zen Cart 1.3.7) it was as simple as enabling Paypal via the Admin > Modules > Payment page and giving it details of my client's Paypal account.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)