Plugin Contributions

Default HELP! I need to get started!

I'm pretty confused. Can anyone give me the "Installing Zen Cart for Dummies"version of the installation instructions?! How do I know if Zen Cart will go on my website!? I use Insta Pro Website Tonight

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP! I need to get started!

Is "Insta Pro Website Tonight" a web page building program? If so, it will be of little or no use to you in setting up a Zen Cart e-commerce site. ZC is not a set of buttons you paste into your page, it is a complete e-commerce and presentation engine. You can use your Insta Pro to generate visual ideas, but you will need to edit your ZC template with HTML and CSS to achieve the look and feel you want.

Plugin Contributions

Before we can give you installation instructions, we need to know what environment you have for your site. What kind of server/host? Do you have an FTP program yet? Do you have a good text editor? (NOT a word processor or Front Page) Can you access a database (essential)?

THere are tutorials on every aspect of installing a site in the FAQ/tutorials section (link at top of this page).

Plugin Contributions

I think I need to know a little more about webpage building before using Zen Cart. My domain is www.tatestreasures.net
    I downloaded FileZilla and FlashFXP as ZenCart instructions stated, but from there I'm pretty lost. The issue I'm having is I purchased a store front from a company (all I have to do is upload photos and prices) but they limit the amount of items you can post. So I am wanting to find a free store front or one with a good deal.

Plugin Contributions

So do you have a host you can install Zen Cart on? You need one that will allow you to manage your own database (preferably at least two, to make working easier). It looks like you are never going to need vast bandwidth or speed resources since you are selling handmade jewelry, mot mass market downloadables.

Once you have the hosting squared away, you can install Zen Cart and start playing with it. Use the demo products, as they will help you learn how the system works - the install program doesn't stress that enough. You can have a store functioning in an hour right out of the box.

Once you are familiar with using it, you can start learning how to customize the appearance. You will want to read up on HTML and CSS at w3schools.com for that, and read all you can in the forums and FAQ/tutorials.

Don't try to make your "real" store until you are familiar with the whole process.