Default Customer Order Numbers - Checkout Field needed

Hi
    Search around the forum for the answer to this and can't believe its not been covered before. The only thread it might be in is the 'Super Orders' module, but as that's running at 50+ pages, I don't have the strength to wade through it all ;-)

So....

In the real world, business customers like to use their own Order Numbers, and there needs to be a field in the checkout process for them to enter it. This customer o/n doesn't need to be used for anything as ZC would still generate its own sequential order number (that I would rename to 'order reference number), but the customer number does need to appear on the invoice, shipping ticket and in the customers' order history.

As I said before - this is the way business works in real life. ZC must be able to do it, or someone else here must have done it already.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious - I'm a relative newbie ;-)
    Thanks
    Pa

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Order Numbers - Checkout Field needed

Quote Originally Posted by pasher View Post
    Hi
    Search around the forum for the answer to this and can't believe its not been covered before. The only thread it might be in is the 'Super Orders' module, but as that's running at 50+ pages, I don't have the strength to wade through it all ;-)

So....

In the real world, business customers like to use their own Order Numbers, and there needs to be a field in the checkout process for them to enter it. This customer o/n doesn't need to be used for anything as ZC would still generate its own sequential order number (that I would rename to 'order reference number), but the customer number does need to appear on the invoice, shipping ticket and in the customers' order history.

As I said before - this is the way business works in real life. ZC must be able to do it, or someone else here must have done it already.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious - I'm a relative newbie ;-)
    Thanks
    Pa
    I would retain the "Order Number" as is. It's your number, not theirs.

I know some customers refer to their "Order Number" instead of calling it a Purchase Order Number but the only customer number you as a vendor should be concerned about is their "Purchase Order Number".

I think it would make sense to create a customers_purchase_order field in the database and develop the inputs/outputs around that. Whether the customer calls it their "Purchase order number" or their "Order Number" it's the same thing. The term 'Purchase Order' by definition is a buyer assigned number.

In otherwords, create a Purchase Order field and enter the customer's Purchase Order Number (or Order Number if that's what they call it). Make sure it accepts alpha as well as numeric inputs. Some purchasing departments use an alpha prefix or suffix in their PO numbers.

Using this method will make a cleaner contribution or modification to the ZenCart without disrupting the existing scheme and affecting many users. Hopefully, ideas such as this will be incorporated into the ZenCart core in future upgrades.
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

For the moment, I've changed the language files etc. to instruct the customer to enter his Purchase Order number into the comment field, along with any special instructions etc. The PO number is not important to us, only to the customer, but it is important that it appears on all subsequent emails, invoices, packing slips etc. for customer tracking. Doing it via the comment field is adequate, but if ZC had the option of a seperate field, it would certainly make it 'more professional'.
    Cheers
    Pa

Plugin Contributions

It's a good idea for a new feature.

You might consider making your idea known in the Features Wish List topic of the Code Matters area of the forum http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Ron
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a