Default Deleting the Admin section and working directly with the includes files

HI ALL,

I am wondering if deleting the admin section and working with the store files directly is at all wise as one becomes fairly familiar with the files of Zen Cart?

Now, the first response would probably be "yeah, but what is the point?"

Well, it is very helpful to know as much about the code as possible to customize our sites just to our liking, so this would seem to be a great way to famaliarize one with the inner workings of the code.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Deleting the Admin section and working directly with the includes files

I don't believe you can have a functioning site without an admin section. It controls many database settings for store functions which have no direct file equivalents.

There are certainly many customizations which can best or only be done by editing files, so if there is not an admin setting for something, by all means go under the hood... Just be sure to use the override system wherever possible, and make thorough notes and backups where not possible, so your work doesn't get lost in the next upgrade.

Default Re: Deleting the Admin section and working directly with the includes files

Thank you,

Just the info I wanted, and it is always nice to be reminded to use the override system as I am guilty of skipping this step thinking that I'll somehow remember what files I've manipulated by the time the next upgrade comes around.

by the way gjh42, your website is awesome. I definately recommend that people check out http://www.futurelics.com/shop to see what an excellent shopping experience looks like. It is still undergoing construction like most of our sites, but the foundation is beautiful.