Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Drop downs in IE

deBeaujeu,

See my above post to webrob for information about your website's drop-down menu problem, too.

Important Advice:
    Do not use IE7 to test IE6's rendering!

All versions of IE use a fundamentally different rendering engine. They interpret CSS in vastly different ways. In this case, the specific problem is that IE6 does not properly apply :hover to all elements.

Before you show a website to a client, be sure that you personally have tested it in all of the common OS/browser combinations and have fixed (or at least are aware of) all of differences in display.

At the web development company where I work, we have a list of about 100 browser/OS combinations which we can potentially test for. Our standard is to test for the most common dozen or so (IE6, IE7, FF2, Safari, etc.). Others are tested and corrected for at client request.

If you do not have IE6, you can get a virtual machine from Microsoft for free which will enable you to test in IE6 on your IE7 machine.

See here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Also, your Flash causes my IE6 to crash. I had to disable the Flash add-on in order to load your site.

BrandTim

Plugin Contributions

brandtim:

Don't mean to ######## in on the dialogue, but the site in question is mine. Just curious what configuration you were running when IE6 crashed on the aaa site. Did it crash on both the main and the test site?
    H. Light
    Florida

Plugin Contributions

hllight,

Yes - it crashed on both the main and test sites. I was running the default installation of IE6 in the Microsoft Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image. The only add-ons were the Shockwave Flash Object and Windows Messenger.

After your post, I tried again with the same results. Interestingly, I tried putting the url of the flash file in the address bar and it loaded and displayed fine. One of the values in the object or param tags I would expect to be the culprit.

You should be able to replicate the problem by using the Microsoft VirutalPC image.

BrandTim

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I don't know what mean by using the Microsoft VirutalPC image, but I will find out. Kind of wierd because I am using IE6 on three different machines and it displays fine. Of course all three machines are running the XP home so I guess they should all react the same. This is kind of troublesome.
    Thank you for your time and checking it agian.
    H. Light
    Florida

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12