Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Simple question: Product Listing

I have a simple question, but have given up finding simple answers anywhere in this mind-boggling program.

I want to sell photographic prints online. I have the main page set up to show four categories; a viewer is supposed to click on one to see the different images in it. What I want to do is to show a roster of thumbnails; a viewer should be able to click on a thumbnail and call up a product page showing the image, information about it, sizes available, prices, and shopping cart icon.

Now, I have the main page set up with its categories, and the product pages too; I even figured out how to show a medium-size image there, with a large one on call. It's the thumbnail listing I can't figure out.

In a FAQ page I found the following tantalizing clue:

"Firstly let's be clear about the difference between a product listing and product info. When you see a number of products listed together, that's a product listing. When you click on one of them, you will be taken to the product info page."

THAT'S what I want to do! Too bad the author didn't give a clue. The only way I've found to do it is by making a subcategory for each product, a ridiculous hack.

I can find the Administration/Configuration/Product Listing tool to configure a listing, but not any way to set up a Product Listing in the first place. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give in showing the way in this maze.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Simple question: Product Listing

Are you wanting all four categories to display their listings at the same time on the home page? This does not work with Zen Cart's structure. The All Products listing does display all of them, but not associated in/with categories.

You can set any one category to display by default on the home page, opened to its subcats or products, if this is what you want.

In admin > Configuration > Layout Settings, these may help you:
    Categories - Always Show on Main Page 1
    Main Page - Opens with Category 0 (0 = all, ## = category id ##)
    Categories - Always Open to Show SubCategories

I don't understand how you are *not* seeing product listing pages, if you have set up categories and products correctly.

Plugin Contributions

" I don't understand how you are *not* seeing product listing pages, if you have set up categories and products correctly."

What I don't understand about all this would fill Lake Erie.

Okay, I have a home page with four categories, each with its image and title. No problem. A viewer clicks on a category and it opens to...

That's the problem. I want small thumbnails of the products in that category to show by themselves, no full-scale images, not product information. The viewer clicks on the thumbnail and all that stuff pops up in the product page.

So, how do I get a viewer to click on a category and see a listing of the products in it, not full descriptions of them?

Maybe I'd better explain in steps:

1) Customer opens my home page, sees four categories of photographs.

2) Chooses one, say "Landscapes," and up pops a page of sixteen thumbnail images; this, I assume, is a "Product Listing"

3) Customer clicks on a thumbnail, up pops the Product Page for that photograph, with medium image, large image "on call," information, pricing and shopping cart icon.

I can do 1) and 3); it's 2) that has me stumped.
    Last edited by srleslie; 11 Jul 2007 at 04:06 AM.

Plugin Contributions

OK, now it's clear what you want. You are getting the product listing page, but you want it to look different than the stock version.

Your course will be to eliminate all of the product listing output except the product image.

In admin > Configuration > Product Listing, you will see a lot of options:

Display Product Image 1
    Display Product Manufacturer Name 0
    Display Product Model 0
    Display Product Name 0
    Display Product Price/Add to Cart 0
    Display Product Quantity 0
    Display Product Weight 0
    Display Product Price/Add to Cart Column Width 0
    Display Category/Manufacturer Filter (0=off; 1=on) 0
    Prev/Next Split Page Navigation (1-top, 2-bottom, 3-both) (you choose...)
    Display Product Listing Default Sort Order
    Display Product Add to Cart Button (0=off; 1=on; 2=on with Qty Box per Product) 0
    Display Multiple Products Qty Box Status and Set Button Location 0
    Display Product Description 0

Set all these to "0" except the Display Product Image to "1".

Plugin Contributions

No, that's not it either. I do all that (except 0 for Split Page Navigation, which is not accepted) and I get only the image. But it's the MED image, not a thumbnail. So I delete the image_MED.jpg file from the server, and now it's the thumbnail. I click on that, and all I get is the LRG image--no information, no cart icon, etc. I can't get the Product Page to come up when I click on a thumbnail in the category content display, which is what I need to do.

Plugin Contributions

The product listing page does not display the medium image; the product info page is the only one that uses that.

A question: do you have the products set up in their own individual subcats now? That would sort of explain the behavior you are getting, if you have Configuration > Layout Settings > Skip 1-prod Categories set to true. (Although the product listing settings above can have no effect whatever on the product info page...)

We really need to know exactly what you are seeing and when. A link to your site would have cut this entire conversation to just a question and the right answer.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, that's the problem. I'm getting the product info page when I want the product listing page. That was my question in the first place.

I've deleted most of my work in trying to figure this out, but go to www.scottleslie.net/zencart/ and you'll see a home page with one category, "Point Reyes & Environs." Click on that and you'll see the product info page for "Millerton Point," the only product in that category at the moment. So how do I get from home page to product listing? My original question.

Plugin Contributions

You have to have multiple products created in a category for the listing page to appear. Configuration > Layout Settings > Skip 1-prod Categories makes Zen Cart go directly from category to product info if there is only one product in it. The product listing page will not appear to show that one product to click to go to its page.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, that explains that. I was there two days ago, showing a list of products but without a clue how to eliminate most of the info. I've nowadded a second product, and that just makes an empty window appear. There's no doubt some simple key I've changed, but I'll never find it.

I've been wading through this sea of php and tpl and bs files for three days now, and can't take it any more. If Cube Cart can't do the job, the hell with it.

Plugin Contributions

Do you have
    Configuration > Product Listing > Display Product Image set to 1 now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast