Plugin Contributions

Default How to access local test site on different PC?

I currently have 2 computers over an internal network and one is hosting a local test site with zen cart amongst many other test sites.

Now I am trying to access the site with a different computer locally by simply typing in the internal ip address slash the web directory. For some reason, all the other site works that DOES NOT have a database. For the zen cart, the text will show up but all the images are not being shown and it displays it kinda mis-aligned on the browser.

Does anyone have a good solution to what I am trying to do?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to access local test site on different PC?

From the description, I'd say it's most likely this.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You'll need to study home-networking a little.

a. Give your "server" a specific IP address (or at least find out what it currently uses).
    b. Use that IP address in your HTTP_SERVER settings in your configure.php files. This is best done during installation (use http://full-ip-address instead of http://localhost for the URLs)
    c. Use that IP address when attempting to access the site from another computer on your home network.
    d. Be sure to still use localhost for the db setting, as it's only the server that actually talks to the database.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, once again you were right on the money. I've changed the settings to a specific IP address and the site loaded right up. Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to know how to get emails working on a test site would you? For example, after purchasing on ZC, there is a email confirmation email that gets sent out. For now, when I checkout, it gives an email error claiming cannot instaniate mail()....etc....

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by nrg77 View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know how to get emails working on a test site would you?
    You need to install a mailserver service on your webserver.
    Mercury is one such tool that comes bundled with XAMPP.
    There are others.
    Refer to the documentation for whichever mailserver tool you install for specific instructions. You'll likely need to configure it to "relay" emails to your ISP in order for them to get out of your webserver and into real accounts.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I just so happen to be using XAMPP with mercury but the lack of documentation on XAMPP website didn't show me how to set it up properly. The service is up and running though.