Plugin Contributions

Default Different currency = different prices?!

Hi,

Another particularity from the shop I'm developing: the prices of the products can't be calculated through an exchange rate. My client wants to be able to specify all the product prices in all the currencies he chooses to display on this website.

I understand this is not the way zen cart works, and he is aware of the work overload (on updating the shop, etc), and the issues that can arise from that policy, but he still wants it that way. In a way, I can understand - you wouldn't want your product price to look like $19 in one currency and then 17.38 in another....

I've looked into a "dual pricing module", but I don't want the customers to have to log in to see a different price... the ideal would be to have it linked to the currency they choose.

Has this been done before? Thank you for your help! :)
    My website: meiadeleite.com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Different currency = different prices?!

It requires extensive changes, as you need to store separate pricing for each case, which means database changes in addition to changes to all the pricing functions. All the sales/specials/discount calculations would need to be managed similarly.

One option you could use if it's only the visual appearance of exchanged prices that's bothering him, is just a "pleasant" currency-exchange-converter. If you don't want 19.99 to become 17.38 after conversion, but would prefer 17.97 instead, just update the exchange calculator to round up/down to the closest "nice" number.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Of course you could always configure the currency to have only 1 decimal place instead of two. This would make a price like 22.12 to become 22.1. You can then configure the right symbol of the currency to be a 0, thus visually changing the price to 22.10.

I have just recently activated this for my own shop and have not yet had any issues.

Plugin Contributions

The previously posted solution also works when rounding up. A price like 49.96 becomes 50.00.